Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Server Backup - Help

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 justenough

justenough

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 05 December 2017 - 04:39 PM

Hi,

Newbie here. Typically, I would have our IT-ish guy help us out, but he is recovering from surgery. My small business server (2008) got corrupted with Payday BTC Ransomware. We had an external hard drive (WD Passport 1TB) connected to it that the SBS console was supposed to be backing up to. Before we realized that the server was corrupted with ransomware, I connected the external drive to my desktop to see if I could retrieve a backup file. However, when I connected it, it would not allow me access to the drive. 

So I have two questions:

1. Would the ransomware have corrupted the external drive too?
  2. Is there a way to recover the data from the external drive, if it is not corrupted?

Any help would be appreciated. We have definitely learned not to take backups/computers for granted, and that doing accounting on pencil/paper might be more hassle-free.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,033 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 05 December 2017 - 04:55 PM

SBS server uses Windows Server backup architecture, you need to be signed in as a domain admin (or if your pc is not on the domain, the root admin of the PC) in order to access the backups. If you are looking to restore from these backups I would not touch them yet. If you damage the backup at all the restore procedure will fail. Windows Server Backup is very picky. In the future it's best to follow the 3,2,1 backup rule. 3 Copies, 2 different media, 1 stored off site. You can use Veeam agent for Windows for free in addition to the SBS backup, this will give you some redundancy.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 justenough

justenough
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 06 December 2017 - 11:21 AM

SBS server uses Windows Server backup architecture, you need to be signed in as a domain admin (or if your pc is not on the domain, the root admin of the PC) in order to access the backups. If you are looking to restore from these backups I would not touch them yet. If you damage the backup at all the restore procedure will fail. Windows Server Backup is very picky. In the future it's best to follow the 3,2,1 backup rule. 3 Copies, 2 different media, 1 stored off site. You can use Veeam agent for Windows for free in addition to the SBS backup, this will give you some redundancy.

Alright, I won't mess with it then. We should have been more proactive, but you we took it for granted and now we are paying the consequences. Thank you for your response, it is appreciated!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users