Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

M.2 SSD question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CabooseDD

CabooseDD

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 05 December 2017 - 04:39 PM

I am trying to install an M.2 SSD into a Z370-E Mobo but it turns out there are x2 M.2 sockets on board and I can't seem to figure out which is the best socket to connect the SSD to.

On the Asus Z370-E Mobo, the manual states:

Quote:
 the M.2_1 socket (SATA & PCIE 3.0 x 4 modes) shares SATA_1 port when use M.2 SATA Mode device. Adjust BIOS settings to use a sata device.

The M.2_2 socket (PCIE 3.0 x 4 modes) shares SATA_56 ports when use M.2 PCIE mode device in X4 mode. Adjust BIOS settings to use sata devices.

If I am understanding the manual correctly connecting to M.2_1 socket will cost me SATA port 1 vs connecting to the M.2_2 socket and losing SATA ports 5&6, correct? Therefore I should connect my SSD to socket_1? I just need to confirm if this is correct or I am way wrong about it.

Additionally, are there are any BIOS settings to consider when the M.2 SSD is installed? I won't be loading an OS onto the M.2, its exclusively for holding games but as I am new to this form factor so I just thought I'd ask anyone that has more experience with it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 05 December 2017 - 06:46 PM

What M.2 drive do you have?  They can use either a SATA interface or a PCIe interface, but not both.  For example, a Samsung 850 Evo M.2. is a SATA based device.  A Samsung Evo 960 is a PCIe based device.

My reading of it is:

If you have a PCIe M.2 drive, you are best using M.2_1 first.  It will not affect how many SATA ports you can use.

If you have a SATA M.2 drive, you have to use M.2_1 - as that is the only one that supports SATA devices. It will cause the loss of the SATA_1 port.

Edited by jonuk76, 05 December 2017 - 06:47 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 CabooseDD

CabooseDD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2017 - 07:07 PM

What M.2 drive do you have?  They can use either a SATA interface or a PCIe interface, but not both.  For example, a Samsung 850 Evo M.2. is a SATA based device.  A Samsung Evo 960 is a PCIe based device.

My reading of it is:

If you have a PCIe M.2 drive, you are best using M.2_1 first.  It will not affect how many SATA ports you can use.

If you have a SATA M.2 drive, you have to use M.2_1 - as that is the only one that supports SATA devices. It will cause the loss of the SATA_1 port.

It's a PCIE 3.0 X4 M.2 SSD (Intel 600P). So if I slot it to M.2_1 I can still connect another device to SATA 1? Would there be any form of bandwidth conflict? The manual isn't very clear, to me at least, but I assume my SSD would throttle some of the SATA 1 port bandwidth even in X4 mode. 

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 05 December 2017 - 07:39 PM

No it really shouldn't cause any bandwidth conflict.  What you DO know however is that if you put it in slot 2, you will lose two SATA ports.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 CabooseDD

CabooseDD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2017 - 07:47 PM

No it really shouldn't cause any bandwidth conflict.  What you DO know however is that if you put it in slot 2, you will lose two SATA ports.

Alright, thanks for the help that cleared it up  :clapping:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users