Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Disconnect Sound, Mouse Driver Reinstalls

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 ProfessorRook

ProfessorRook

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 05 December 2017 - 04:38 PM

Greetings! New to the forum and I hope some of you can help. I've been reading up on my problem in various places on the internet for a couple weeks now and still have no resolution.

The issue I am having is that, intermittently but often when the mouse is moving, my mouse will hang, its lights will turn off, the computer will make the USB device disconnected sound, and it appears to reinstall the mouse device drivers. The system hangs for a couple seconds during this process. A few seconds later, the mouse is back to working again.

In my Device Manager, I currently have 3 copies of "HID-compliant consumer control device," 8 copies of "HID-compliant device," 4 copies of "USB Input Device," two copies of my mouse's named drivers, and one copy of my keyboard's named drivers. These all can be uninstalled but will be reinstalled at the next error.

(Edit for clarity: when the error happens and I'm viewing the Device Manager at the time, both the named mouse drivers for my one mouse disappear, a number of extra drivers of all the listed kinds except the keyboard appear, and when the system is responsive again, the extras created during the error go away [all the "extras" I listed by name above stay; clones of them appear and disappear during the error], and two copies of the mouse driver reappear.)

There were zero recent system software or hardware changes when the problem first appeared. I am using a new mouse (replaced the old one to test if it was faulty- and upgraded just to get myself a little something). I have tried all of the USB ports on my computer; I am not using an external USB hub, as the mouse is plugged straight into the mobo. I have updated all of my drivers and firmware and system updates. 

I'm to the point of thinking it is a problem with the power supply, but I'm hoping there might be a cheaper fix before I take that step. 

Thanks in advance!

Edited by ProfessorRook, 05 December 2017 - 04:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 05 December 2017 - 06:29 PM

Please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Go to Piriform's website, and download the free version on the left.  Click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version. You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):

post-33068-0-86653600-1480692866_thumb.j

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot.

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the ADD REPLY or REPLY TO THIS TOPIC button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Louis

#3 ProfessorRook

ProfessorRook
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2017 - 09:29 AM

Updated:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/5Zg15tpedGvobSL8wmcsM5V

Edited by ProfessorRook, 06 December 2017 - 10:16 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2017 - 12:05 PM

Peripheral Detail per Speccy:

Razer Mamba
Device Kind: 
Keyboard
Device Name: 
Razer Mamba
Vendor: 
ECHELON
Driver
Date: 
10-26-2016
Version: 
File: 
C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\rzudd.sys
File: 
C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\kbdhid.sys
File: 
C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\kbdclass.sys
File: 
C:\Windows\system32\WdfCoInstaller01009.dll

HID Keyboard Device
Device Kind: 
Keyboard
Device Name: 
HID Keyboard Device
Vendor: 
ECHELON
Driver
Date: 
6-21-2006
Version: 
File: 
File: 

HID Keyboard Device
Device Kind: 
Keyboard
Device Name: 
HID Keyboard Device
Vendor: 
ECHELON
Driver
Date: 
6-21-2006
Version: 
File: 
File: 

Razer BlackWidow Chroma V2
Device Kind: 
Keyboard
Device Name: 
Vendor: 
ECHELON
Driver
Date: 
10-26-2016
Version: 
File: 
File: 
File: 
File: 

Razer Mamba
Device Kind: 
Mouse
Device Name: 
Razer Mamba
Vendor: 
ECHELON
Driver
Date: 
10-26-2016
Version: 
File: 
File: 
C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\mouhid.sys
File: 
C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\mouclass.sys
File: 

Device Kind: 
Mouse
Device Name: 
Vendor: 
ECHELON
Driver
Date: 
10-26-2016
Version: 
File: 
File: 
C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\mouhid.sys
File: 
C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\mouclass.sys
File: 

Looks to me like you have a number of unnecessary devices installed.  I would go to Device Manager...uninstall each device listed above...reboot and let the correct drivers install.

Louis

#5 ProfessorRook

ProfessorRook
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2017 - 12:22 PM

Yes, I've done that.

In my Device Manager, I currently have 3 copies of "HID-compliant consumer control device," 8 copies of "HID-compliant device," 4 copies of "USB Input Device," two copies of my mouse's named drivers, and one copy of my keyboard's named drivers. These all can be uninstalled but will be reinstalled at the next error.

Also note that this problem began when I had a Logitech mouse and off-brand keyboard.

Edited by ProfessorRook, 06 December 2017 - 12:23 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2017 - 01:10 PM

I have no answer if you uninstalled the devices themselves, not just the drivers.

Louis

#7 ProfessorRook

ProfessorRook
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2017 - 01:18 PM

Maybe we're having a problem of definition. When you say "uninstall the devices themselves" do you mean unplug the USB cable from the device to the computer? Or do you just mean right clicking on the device driver in the Device Manager and clicking uninstall?

Pn9DMf4.png

Edited by ProfessorRook, 06 December 2017 - 01:25 PM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2017 - 02:35 PM

Device Manager shows general description...specific item...sub-categories for specific item, including drivers.

The device is the specific item under any hardware category.  The 6 items I posted from Speccy...are specific items.

To make it simple...you could uninstall each of your devices listed under Human Inferface Devices...and Keyboards in Device Manager.  Then reboot.  I have no idea why your DM reflects so many different devices under HID, there should be one, that being the mouse used.

Louis

#9 ProfessorRook

ProfessorRook
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2017 - 03:46 PM

Ah, I see what you mean. Not the HID list but the devices list.

Well, I tried that. The list looked like this:

vsfHiEf.png

But while I was setting up that screenshot, the error occurred again, and the list returned to this:

ZxDIYdk.png

So they completely reinstalled on their own because Windows thinks they should be there.

Edit: I tried again and rebooted before the error could happen again, and the computer returned to the same state as the last picture.

Edited by ProfessorRook, 06 December 2017 - 03:50 PM.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2017 - 04:29 PM

What view are you using in Device Manager?  Under View, click Devices By Type and do not check Show Hidden Devices.

Louis

#11 ProfessorRook

ProfessorRook
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2017 - 04:41 PM

That's the view it was in already:

k8nbCqQ.png

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 06 December 2017 - 05:03 PM

I'm not sure this will work but it may be worth a try. Download Device Cleanup Cmd, not the GUI version. Unzip the file to a folder on your desktop. Copy the x64 folder to the root of C: Open an elevated command prompt and type

cd C:\x64
devicecleanupcmd *

This will remove all non-present USB devices that were connected at one time.

I sometimes get the USB disconnect/connect sound when I plug something else into my UPS while the computer is on, almost as if there is some voltage drop or something going on but when this happens I don't get any duplicates but the mouse will hang for just a second. The computer is not plugged into any powerstrip is it? 

#13 ProfessorRook

ProfessorRook
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2017 - 05:24 PM

Gave that program a shot and it did remove a bunch of old devices. I'll update if I go awhile without any errors.

The computer is plugged into a power strip, but I've had the computer plugged into the strip for about 6 months. Its a good quality one.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 06 December 2017 - 05:28 PM

If you keep getting disconnects/duplicates try plugging directly into the electrical outlet and see if you still get the problem.

#15 ProfessorRook

ProfessorRook
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2017 - 01:33 PM

So it did seem to fix the issue for a long time, but I just had another error.

I'm concerned about plugging the computer straight into the wall. The apartment complex has sketchy wiring and outlets. I'll see about getting another power strip though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users