Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Games freezing when they write to game files

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sjensen1

sjensen1

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 05 December 2017 - 04:21 PM

I'm sorry, I know the topic title is awkward, but I've recently begun to have a problem where the games I play (7 Days to Die and Skyrim) are freezing and releasing every couple of minutes, lasting between 20-30 seconds. In trying to track down the problem, these are the steps I have taken:

• I watched the system resources through Task Manager during the freezes to see if the RAM (16GB) or CPU (6 core AMD) were being maxed out, and I did not see any indication that was happening.
  • Ran full system scan with Norton antivirus, nothing, not even malware, was found.
  • Verified the settings in the antivirus are to exclude the folders with those games, including the save locations, and verified that while playing games the AV is in silent mode.
  • Verified file integrity of 7 Days to Die and Skyrim through Steam, no errors found.
  • Checked defragmentation of the drive, 0% fragmented
  • Ran CHKDSK for bad files and sectors, no errors found.
  • Skyrim.. is awesome.
  • Checked video card drivers are up to date.
  • Deleted save folders and forced games to create new ones.
  • Ran Process Monitor and played 7 Days to Die until it froze, wrote down the time, then checked the log to see what was happening at that time, discovered that 7 Days To Die was reading and writing to a file in the Saves folder during the freeze. Assumed Skyrim was doing the same thing because it freezes and releases every couple of minutes in the same manner 7 Days to Die is does.

Other information that may be useful: These are single player games, not online games in the traditional sense, however they do require internet access so they can talk to Steam in order to launch and apply the license key. I have also noticed that lately, overall system performance has dropped in regards to opening applications. Explorer windows and browser windows take 10-20 seconds to load, however internet browsing is speedy. My PC is acting like it's very bloated, but it runs maintenance weekly (defrag, disk cleanup, AV scan), and my system cache is set to minimum 25600mb maximum 51200mb. My gut tells me something is wrong with Windows, and not the games, but it seemed that I should probably post this here because this is how I've discovered the problem, and I don't know that it isn't game related (or possibly video card related, heaven forbid). Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 XboxUnity

XboxUnity

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 17 February 2018 - 02:08 AM

This is do doubt strange, since you have such a nice PC

I have the same issues with Skyrim, so I hope someone can answer this quickly

#3 C0bra

C0bra

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 20 February 2018 - 10:15 AM

What are your temps like? A PC all the sudden running slow; I'm immediately curious as to whether the cooling system is clean and the PC is running in normal temperature ranges. If you're good on that front try running a test on your RAM using a great program like Memtest 86+. CHKDSK is great and all but, if your RAM is fine, run a program like SeaTools and do a thorough check of that drive. 

If all that fails I'd be pointing my finger at the GPU next, it's last on my list because I'm not convinced that it's really the problem. If you get to this point though and everything seems to check out, my best piece of advice is to find a buddy that doesn't mind you using his known good GPU in your system for a few minutes to rule it out. If the problem goes away you have your answer.

Good luck! Freezing issues are no fun to deal with.

nIDwkQT.gif

| IT Service Technician | A+ | Network+ | Gamer | iPhone Expert |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users