Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

W10 lock screen keeps changing from "Windows Spotlight" to "Picture"

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 CRBlair

CRBlair

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 05 December 2017 - 03:09 PM

One of may apps (magic Jigsaw Puzzles) recently updated. Since the update, the app seems to change my Lock Screen background form "Windows Spotlight" to "Picture." No matter how many times I set the background to "Spotlight," the next time I see my lock scree, it has an app-uppliedpictue insteadt. The app doesn't automatically start at startup (I checked that), and, following some Windows adv ice, I cleared the appropriate user fil under my account. I also tried disabling Sync; neither has helped what's going on, and how do I stop this?

Roger Blair

crogerblair@hotmail.com

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,110 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2017 - 03:57 PM

If you have a system restore point prior to the update of the app that seems to be causing this I would roll back to that restore point and see this misbehavior it goes away.

If it does, you could try reapplying the update to see if it occurs again.  There are those rare occasions where "something burps" as part of a software update that doesn't bring the machine to its knees, or cause pretty much everything to stop running, but that can induce quirks like this.

This is just a variant on the classic uninstall-reinstall (with a full shut down and power up between those).

Edited by britechguy, 05 December 2017 - 03:57 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 CRBlair

CRBlair
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2017 - 02:57 AM

britechguy, I tried the system restore. Io nly had one restore point before the update, and when I tied to restore from it, there was something wrong with the RP and the restore didn't work. I'm going to try un-installing and re-stalling the app and see it that helpd. I'll also try the app troubleshooter to see if it will help. I'll let you know how things go.

Roger Blair

crogerblair@hotmail.com

#4 CRBlair

CRBlair
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2017 - 06:26 AM

Well, the app troubleshooter cleaned up my Store cache, but I still have the problem, so I'm going the un-install-re-install route--after I check the programs optionsagain.

Roger Blair

crogerblair@hotmail.com

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,110 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2017 - 10:14 AM

Keep us posted.

I'll also use this as an opportunity to lobby, again, for the importance of having an external backup drive and taking say, monthly (maybe every two weeks), full system image backups if you have frequent changes in applications as far as installing, uninstalling, updating, etc.  You also need to separately take user data file backups, and Windows 10's built-in File History is an excellent mechanism for this purpose.

If you have both of the above, and a situation like yours occurs, you can restore the system as a whole from the system image and then pull out any user data files from your File History store that post-date the system image backup.

Having an external backup drive, and using it, is really cheap insurance and peace of mind.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#6 CRBlair

CRBlair
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2017 - 02:15 PM

Thanks for your suggestion, britechguy; I'll look into it. (If it's cheap enough, I'll ask Santa for it next year.

As for my app problem, I un-installed the app, rebooted, then re-installed the app. All seems well, now. Thanks for help.

Roger Blair

crogerblair@hotmail.com

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,110 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2017 - 04:50 PM

Glad to hear that your issue has been resolved.

Believe me, you can get 1TB drives under $50 on sale and 2TB for around $75.  They're very, very cheap insurance.  I strongly prefer the portable external USB drives to the desktop models.  My experience is that the portable units have far greater longevity than the desktop units do.

~ Austin O'Malley

#8 xrobwx

xrobwx

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 08 December 2017 - 10:49 AM

Glad to hear that your issue has been resolved.

Believe me, you can get 1TB drives under $50 on sale and 2TB for around $75.  They're very, very cheap insurance.  I strongly prefer the portable external USB drives to the desktop models.  My experience is that the portable units have far greater longevity than the desktop units do

Could you please give examples of the portable and desktop models? I am a backup addict and want to make sure I've got the right stuff. For instance: at work: Server- RAID 1, -->3rd Internal HDD--> External portable USB Drive -->Offsite NAS.

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,110 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2017 - 11:42 AM

Portable Models:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Toshiba-Canvio-Basics-1-Tb-External-Hard-Drive-Usb-3-0-5400-Rpm-8-Mb-Buffer-Portable-Black-hdtb310xk3aa/42512694

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Toshiba-2TB-Canvio-Connect-II-Portable-Hard-Drive-Blue/44439321

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Seagate-Backup-Plus-Slim-1-TB-2-5-USB-3-0-Portable-External-Hard-Drive-Black-STDR1000100/35610053

https://www.walmart.com/ip/WD-3TB-Black-My-Passport-Portable-External-Hard-Drive-USB-3-0-Model-WDBYFT0030BBK-WESN/54307016

https://www.walmart.com/ip/WD-4TB-Black-My-Passport-Portable-External-Hard-Drive-USB-3-0-Model-WDBYFT0040BBK-WESN/190528556

and there are many more at Walmart.com or Staples or Best Buy, etc.   Just search on "USB portable external drive."

Desktop Models:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/WD-4TB-My-Book-Desktop-External-Hard-Drive-USB-3-0-WDBBGB0040HBK-NESN/54296981

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Toshiba-Canvio-Desk-3TB-External-Hard-Drive/21886434

https://www.walmart.com/ip/3TB-EXPANSION-DESKTOP-DRIVE/44379858

and the list goes on and on.

I have had far better luck with the portable (pocket sized) and fully powered via USB models compared to externally powered desktop models.  It also makes it much easier to use a single drive to backup multiple computers as its much easier to carry it around the house or from place to place.

~ Austin O'Malley

#10 xrobwx

xrobwx

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2017 - 05:25 PM

Ty Britechguy!

#11 markmn64

markmn64

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2018 - 04:31 PM

Is there anyway to tell if an app is changing lock screen?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users