Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BIOS time/date resets when booting into windows

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Berenerd

Berenerd

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 05 December 2017 - 02:57 PM

I recently came across an issue. One of my users came to me telling me their date and time was off so they couldn't login to the network. I had them bring it in and they were right. Windows thought is was May 30th, 2099, 3am. I went into the bios thinking maybe the battery went wonky, the bios time was off too.  I reset it and replaced the system battery and booted back into BIOS and the date was still right. Booted into windows and it stated it was May 30th 2099. Went back into the BIOS and the date had changed to 05 30 99. After messing with things including flashing the bios I opted to try moving the drive to another system of the same setup. I checked before installing the drive that the current system was normal. Now here is the oddest parts. I put in the "bad drive" into the new shell, and went into windows. The date was May 30th 2099 again. So I figured, well, there needs to be an issue with the drive setting the BIOS time and date even though I didn't think it could. I put the "good drive" back in and make sure the date is correct in BIOS. Then booted into windows. Now THAT hard drive is reporting that its May 30th 2099. I am at a total loss here. I thought windows got its time from the BIOS and not vise versa. I have never seen this before in my 17 years of doing this. Any ideas? thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 05 December 2017 - 05:15 PM

change the date and time in windows, not in the bios.  actually make sure that windows time server is enabled and it will automatically update the date and time.

back in the old days you set it in the bios, now it the other way around

Edited by mightywiz, 05 December 2017 - 05:16 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 05 December 2017 - 05:42 PM

I would replace the CMOS/RTC battery...reset the time/date, reset other BIOS settings to default...and see if sanity can prevail.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users