Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Harddrives Constantly Spinning

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 d2produce

d2produce

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2017 - 02:53 PM

so I got 2x 4 Drive bays attached via USB3.0 to my computer.  Inside are 3x 8TB hdds in 1 enclosure and 2x 8TB and 1x 4TB drives in the other.

These are just for archival purposes.  Movie files, Books, Home Videos, Games, etc.

Nothing is in use until I access it from Plex or select a file to open, etc etc.

So why are the harddrives always running at around 33 degrees Celcius and the Fans to the enclosures blasting.  I recently cleaned the enclosure fans and moved around the drives so there were only 3 in each (before it was 4 in 1 and 2 in the other).  And when I did that they both ran quiet, no fans at all.  But a few weeks ago the fans are running full blast and the drives are hot and I presume in use.  How do I prevent this so they remain quiet and only spin when accessed?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,566 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 05 December 2017 - 07:56 PM

I use some pieces of 3 by 5 cards to block off areas where cooling isn't needed and the fans can concentrate on the drives with increased air flow.

#3 d2produce

d2produce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2017 - 10:27 PM

That's the thing though... I don't want the fans to run at all. I can't figure out why they're running and why the drives are active when they're not even in use?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users