Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Return of "Default Gateway Not Available" issue in Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Tankgrrrrl

Tankgrrrrl

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 05 December 2017 - 01:09 PM

Hello,

I have a Lenovo ideapad z580 and had the constant loss of internet connection issue along with many other people, a couple of years back. Then, as now, I attempted all the 'fixes' out there... (changing power settings, changing rate, uninstalling drivers to prompt auto reinstall, various command prompt strategies....), I still don't know if it was one of the fixes that sorted the problem in 2015...

But anyway, since I (ill-advisedly?) changed to Windows 10, some months ago, the internet's been less and less reliable. For the last few days, it has lost the internet connection several times per hour. I have tried ALL the fixes I've found previously and now, online (although I've not been able to FIND an updated driver for Broadcom 802.11n, so have not been able to install a different driver as I don't know which one to try...), but the problem remains...

Does anyone have any suggestions for how I might identify what the heck is going on, why this is suddenly happening again (should I system restore???), and what to try? This is infuriating enough, but made worse by the fact I work online, so this is creating major problems for me, and this time I can't seem to fix it. Any help appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 05 December 2017 - 01:23 PM

Some people have posted that disabling, not uninstalling, the Ethernet adapter in Device Manager will help. Sometimes Windows 10 will get confused in both adapters are enabled. From what I have read there have been a lot of problems with the Broadcom chipset and Windows 10.

Right click the Broadcom Wifi adapter in Device Manager. Select Properties. Under the Details tab select Hardware Ids in the dropdown box. Copy and Post the first line.

I would also disable Windows 10 fast startup and reboot. Though it's probably not causing your internet problems it's one less thing to worry about.

There is also the option to get yourself a USB dongle like this one which is Windows 10 compatible.

Edit: It may also help if you change the Wifi channel on your router if the dropouts are due to interference. Did you also disable the ability of Windows to turn off the device to save power? This would be under the properties settings of the adapter, power management tab.

Edit Edit: Windows 10 now has a Network reset. This would be your last step if the above does not work.

1. Select the Start  button, then select Settings  > Network & Internet  > Status > Network reset.

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 December 2017 - 01:33 PM.

#3 Tankgrrrrl

Tankgrrrrl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2017 - 01:47 PM

Hello, and thanks for your reply...

I shall do the fast startup, and also look at getting a dongle (aargh!) ...

And yep, I've tried changing the wifi channel and disabled Windows' ability to turn off device, too. I've also tried a Network reset - to no effect whatsoever :/

Hardware Ids:

PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4727&SUBSYS_058714E&REV_01

PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4727&SUBSYS_058714E

PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4727&CC_028000

PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4727&CC_0280

Edited by Tankgrrrrl, 05 December 2017 - 01:49 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,280 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2017 - 02:05 PM

That is a BCM4313 802.11bgn Adapter. I couldn't find much on this chipset and I couldn't find anything for that chipset on the Microsoft Update Catalog for Windows 10. Still looking for a late driver. Have you tried right clicking the device in Device Manager and selecting Update Driver?

Sometimes doing a power cycle also helps. Remove the power adapter and the battery if easily accessible. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Replace the power adapter and battery. 

Edit: After doing a lot of searching I think you will be better off using a Wifi Dongle. That Broadcom chipset is not very common. It looks like some Lenovo specific wifi spec. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 December 2017 - 02:12 PM.

#5 Tankgrrrrl

Tankgrrrrl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2017 - 02:16 PM

Again, many thanks with this.... useful to know what adaptor it is, which I did not! 

I've tried update driver, yes (several times), and each time  it tells me I have the most up-to-date driver (which is a 2012 one, from the looks of it...) I can't find a later one via the Lenovo site, either... I did also do a power cycle the 2nd day it started happening, but with no change. (This is what's so frustrating: all these things - which were way beyond me before this first happened! - seem like they might work, but none have yet.)

#6 Tankgrrrrl

Tankgrrrrl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2017 - 02:28 PM

Also, I see an adapter called "Realtek PCle FE Family Controller" that I'm not convinced was there before all this started... May be a red herring, but I don't know where it came from, so possibly relevant?

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,280 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2017 - 02:29 PM

That is your Ethernet adapter. Disable that.

Your Welcome,

Windows 10 and older wifi chipsets do not get along very well. Don't try to purchase a new internal Wifi card as Lenovo puts a whitelist in their BIOS where any third party Wifi card will fail. Go for the dongle.

This is an option for you if you need steady wifi as a temporary solution and it only work if the drive is in the Mint linux kernel. Download the Mint Cinnamon iso. Burn the iso to a DVD by right clicking and selecting disk image. Boot the Mint DVD. Do not input anything. Wait till you are at the desktop. In the lower right is the network icon. Click on it and you will see available Wifi. Provide your password. Mint will run in RAM and off the DVD.

If you decide to use Mint you probably will be better off with 17.2

https://linuxmint.com/release.php?id=25

You can use this program with a USB flash drive to create a bootable USB with persistence.

#8 Tankgrrrrl

Tankgrrrrl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2017 - 02:39 PM

Again, very many thanks: I have ordered the dongle as suggested, so with luck that will work out (and thanks for the warning against a new internal wifi card).

I shall early tomorrow morning (before work!) try that temp fix, and see if that gets me somewhere for now, too. (I strongly suspect I need a new laptop, really, but want to resolve this issue as the laptop is otherwise perfectly good!)

Thank you again, and fingers crossed...

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,280 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2017 - 02:58 PM

Good Luck, fingers crossed. Please post an update on how things went if possible. Thanks.

Edit: I forgot to mention when you get the dongle make sure you disable the Broadcom adapter in Device Manager. If the dongle works fine then go ahead and uninstall the Broadcom.

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 December 2017 - 03:02 PM.

#10 Tankgrrrrl

Tankgrrrrl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2017 - 10:34 AM

Good Luck, fingers crossed. Please post an update on how things went if possible. Thanks.

Edit: I forgot to mention when you get the dongle make sure you disable the Broadcom adapter in Device Manager. If the dongle works fine then go ahead and uninstall the Broadcom.

Ooo, thanks for the info about disabling Broadcom to test dingle - otherwise I'd have not done that! (Dongle's due to arrive tmrw)

The other method's made a temp improvement, but it's erratic. I actually think disabling the new Ethernet adapter that mysteriously appeard the day before I posted here helped before even that, though. Will post here if the dongle sorts it for good :) 

#11 Tankgrrrrl

Tankgrrrrl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2017 - 03:21 AM

Just an update: Same problem back now (with a vengeance :/ )... dongle not yet here: will post if that helps when it arrives, so people know...

#12 Tankgrrrrl

Tankgrrrrl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2017 - 03:51 PM

Well the dongle works fine [thank you!], but the original problem has NOT gone... it's possibly (or at least currently) less frequent, but at still often 2, 3 or more times per hour, I have to either find an actual, long-term fix or get a new laptop I think. It is taking up too much of my time (constantly having to run the troubleshooter when bumped offline), as I work from home as freelancer and it interferes with that constantly....

No idea why this issue has not been dealt with by Microsoft or for that matter Lenovo. But there it is. I really seem to have tried everything, as I did in 2015 - but this time nothing's working.

Any further ideas welcome, although I still have a couple of the long list of much-shared 'fixes' to try now the dongle is in place; maybe the combination will work...

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,280 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2017 - 04:01 PM

The only thing I could recommend at this point is to do a Windows reset with the option to keep your files which would require you to reinstall all your programs or do a complete clean install of Windows 10. Do you have the option to use Ethernet? Does that drop out also?

I'd almost have to say it's a Windows 10 problem but I don't know that for a fact. If you have a legible key of Windows 7 on the COA sticker you could go back to Windows 7. I can link to a program that will let you download your version of Windows 7 from Microsoft if you have the key. It would require phone activation.

Another thing to try to rule out some off the wall hardware problem is booting a live linux disk and see how your internet connection acts. Linux would run off RAM and the DVD. It wouldn't touch the hard drive. This is if the wifi chipset or dongle is in the linux kernel. 

#14 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 14 December 2017 - 05:57 PM

Hi, lets have a more detailed look at your current settings (especially global). Press the win + x keys together, the windows power menu will open, select Powershell (admin) from the options.

Copy each of the cmds below (one at a time) and then right click anywhere in the powershell window, the cmd will append to the prompt (no need to paste). Press enter

Get-NetAdapter | out-file C:\adapter.txt
notepad C:\adapter.txt

Get-NetTCPSetting | out-file C:\setting.txt

Notepad C:\setting.txt

Get-NetIPConfiguration | out-file C:\config.txt
notepad c:\config.txt

You will receive three notepad's with data, please copy paste each one into your reply.

#15 Tankgrrrrl

Tankgrrrrl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2017 - 03:42 AM

Hi, lets have a more detailed look at your current settings (especially global). Press the win + x keys together, the windows power menu will open, select Powershell (admin) from the options.

Copy each of the cmds below (one at a time) and then right click anywhere in the powershell window, the cmd will append to the prompt (no need to paste). Press enter

Get-NetAdapter | out-file C:\adapter.txt
notepad C:\adapter.txt

Get-NetTCPSetting | out-file C:\setting.txt

Notepad C:\setting.txt

Get-NetIPConfiguration | out-file C:\config.txt
notepad c:\config.txt

You will receive three notepad's with data, please copy paste each one into your reply.

Hello! And thank you.... excuse brevity, I've just seen this and doing it before I have to rush out!

NOTEPAD replies below:

(1) 
Name                      InterfaceDescription                    ifIndex Status       MacAddress             LinkSpeed
----                      --------------------                    ------- ------       ----------             ---------
Wi-Fi 2                   Realtek RTL8188EU Wireless LAN 802.1...       4 Disconnected 7C-8B-CA-08-88-C8          0 bps
Bluetooth Network Conn... Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Netw...       6 Not Present  F4-B7-E2-EF-62-C0          0 bps
Ethernet                  Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller            12 Not Present  08-9E-01-99-ED-60          0 bps
Wi-Fi                     Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter              8 Up           F4-B7-E2-EF-62-BF        72 Mbps
Ethernet 3                Phantom TAP-Windows Adapter V9               11 Not Present  00-FF-89-19-0E-D8          0 bps

(2)

SettingName                     : Automatic
MinRto(ms)                      : 
InitialCongestionWindow(MSS)    : 
CongestionProvider              : 
CwndRestart                     : 
DelayedAckTimeout(ms)           : 
DelayedAckFrequency             : 
MemoryPressureProtection        : 
AutoTuningLevelLocal            : 
AutoTuningLevelGroupPolicy      : 
AutoTuningLevelEffective        : 
EcnCapability                   : 
Timestamps                      : 
InitialRto(ms)                  : 
ScalingHeuristics               : 
DynamicPortRangeStartPort       : 
DynamicPortRangeNumberOfPorts   : 
AutomaticUseCustom              : 
NonSackRttResiliency            : 
ForceWS                         : 
MaxSynRetransmissions           : 
AutoReusePortRangeStartPort     : 
AutoReusePortRangeNumberOfPorts : 

SettingName                     : InternetCustom
MinRto(ms)                      : 300
InitialCongestionWindow(MSS)    : 10
CongestionProvider              : CTCP
CwndRestart                     : False
DelayedAckTimeout(ms)           : 40
DelayedAckFrequency             : 2
MemoryPressureProtection        : Disabled
AutoTuningLevelLocal            : Disabled
AutoTuningLevelGroupPolicy      : NotConfigured
AutoTuningLevelEffective        : Local
EcnCapability                   : Disabled
Timestamps                      : Disabled
InitialRto(ms)                  : 3000
ScalingHeuristics               : Disabled
DynamicPortRangeStartPort       : 49152
DynamicPortRangeNumberOfPorts   : 16384
AutomaticUseCustom              : Disabled
NonSackRttResiliency            : Disabled
ForceWS                         : Enabled
MaxSynRetransmissions           : 2
AutoReusePortRangeStartPort     : 0
AutoReusePortRangeNumberOfPorts : 0

SettingName                     : DatacenterCustom
MinRto(ms)                      : 20
CongestionProvider              : DCTCP
CwndRestart                     : True
DelayedAckTimeout(ms)           : 10

SettingName                     : Compat
InitialCongestionWindow(MSS)    : 4
CongestionProvider              : 
DelayedAckTimeout(ms)           : 200

SettingName                     : Datacenter
MinRto(ms)                      : 20
CongestionProvider              : DCTCP
CwndRestart                     : True
DelayedAckTimeout(ms)           : 10

SettingName                     : Internet
CongestionProvider              : CTCP
DelayedAckTimeout(ms)           : 40

(3)

InterfaceAlias       : Wi-Fi
InterfaceIndex       : 8
InterfaceDescription : Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter
NetProfile.Name      : PLUSNET-NRM5
IPv4Address          : 192.168.1.65
IPv6DefaultGateway   : 
IPv4DefaultGateway   : 192.168.1.254
DNSServer            : 192.168.1.254

InterfaceAlias       : Wi-Fi 2
InterfaceIndex       : 4
InterfaceDescription : Realtek RTL8188EU Wireless LAN 802.11n USB 2.0 Network Adapter
NetAdapter.Status    : Disconnected

------
All the above means very little to me, although that last line, "NetAdapter.Status    : Disconnected", sounds off....?! The network adapter seems to be working... I am hoping I have just not set it up somehow, and it might be an easy, human error fix with the dongle fix that JohnC_21 suggested???

Anyway, I hope this makes sense and thank you again and in advance! 

The only thing I could recommend at this point is to do a Windows reset with the option to keep your files which would require you to reinstall all your programs or do a complete clean install of Windows 10. Do you have the option to use Ethernet? Does that drop out also?

I'd almost have to say it's a Windows 10 problem but I don't know that for a fact. If you have a legible key of Windows 7 on the COA sticker you could go back to Windows 7. I can link to a program that will let you download your version of Windows 7 from Microsoft if you have the key. It would require phone activation.

Another thing to try to rule out some off the wall hardware problem is booting a live linux disk and see how your internet connection acts. Linux would run off RAM and the DVD. It wouldn't touch the hard drive. This is if the wifi chipset or dongle is in the linux kernel. 

Hello - again, sorry to be so brief, but yes I do wonder if it's a Windows 10 issue so may go this route unless it turns out I've just not set up the dongle correctly (or it keeps turning off???!) or jenae can make sense of it :)

Thank you guys, all VERY much appreciated! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users