Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Will Not Boot SSDor DVD

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Josh-1919

Josh-1919

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2017 - 12:39 PM

My computer is a desktop that I built just over two years ago. It has worked pretty much flawlessly until now.

This morning when I tried to turn it on, it hung up on the windows logo and circling dots screen. I cut power and restarted. Same thing.

On the third try it said "Attempting Automatic Repair". Then the screen went black and stayed that way until I cut it off after several minutes of apparent inactivity.

I never made recovery discs but I have the original DVD that I used to install Win 10 originally. I entered my UEFI and changed boot priority to the DVD drive and put the disc in the drive.

When I attempt to boot from the disc there is a screen prompting me to press any key to boot from disc. I do. The drive spins up the disc. The windows logo comes up with the spinning dots for a few moments. Then the disc stops spinning and the screen goes black. Nothing else happens after several minutes of waiting.

Thanks in advance for any help with this issue.
Please let me know if I'm leaving out pertinent details.

Edited by Josh-1919, 05 December 2017 - 09:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,803 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 05 December 2017 - 02:01 PM

Have you allowed Windows 10 to update?  

I would definitely go to the Microsoft Windows 10 Download Page (on another machine, of course) and download the latest Win10 ISO and make either a bootable DVD or USB drive and use that rather than a version from two years ago.  It could very well be stopping since the Windows version from the initial release period and version 1511 after it are both now officially out of support.

If you need to update Windows 10 you can do that by booting from your bootable media and selecting, "Keep my apps and files," as the update option.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#3 Josh-1919

Josh-1919
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2017 - 09:11 PM

Thank you for the reply.  I downloaded a new .iso of Windows 10 and tried it.  Same exact thing.  I also made an Ubuntu installation disc and stuck it in.  

This worked.  At least I was able to run Ubuntu off the DVD.  I noticed once in that I was unable to open my secondary hard drive.  (I have windows on a 250GB SSD and my 1TB drive was unable to open)

I then exited Ubuntu and disconnected the hard drive.  Windows booted right up and is working fine.  Unfortunately I have no access to this hard drive now.  

I attempted to hotswap it once windows had booted but I can't see it at all.  I hope I haven't lost all the data.  That's probably for a different forum but any suggestions are welcome.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,823 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2017 - 09:20 PM

Is the HDD detected in Disk Management after you hot swap it? Does it say RAW or Not Initialized?

#5 Josh-1919

Josh-1919
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2017 - 10:46 PM

It doesn't show up at all.  I scanned for it in device manager and I can only see my SSD.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,823 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2017 - 08:01 AM

Can you attach the drive to another computer either internally or using a USB adapter? If not can you change out the SATA cable and move the cable to a different SATA port?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users