Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't boot, black screen with cursor

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 LilyMartinez

LilyMartinez

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 05 December 2017 - 12:04 PM

Ok so, I've been having plenty of issues with windows 10. Corrupted files and just general issues.. last night I decided I want to clean reinstall windows 10, so I just did it through recovery in the settings.

I started the install and went to bed. Woke up to a black screen, but I'm able to move my mouse, I tried various troubleshooting for these problems like trying to sign in blind etc etc.. haven't been successful.

I created a windows 10 installation media to perhaps try to do a repair, didn't work, I used the cmd prompt to try and reboot in safe mode.. doesn't work, none of the commands are successful.

I tried plugging in my monitor into the onboard slot but I guess I don't have one because I can't get any display, just my monitor flashing a green light which I guess means I don't have onboard.

Tried plugging an entirely different monitor in.. still the same issue. Nothing is working. I still have the windows 10 installation media but I can't get anywhere with it because the repair does nothing, I'm hopeless, finals are starting this week and this is a horrible time for this to happen to me. Any help would be appreciated.

Also, I highly doubt it's a hardware issue, my hardware is pretty new and I've been gaming with no issues, my only issue was that i was having windows 10 problems.. like certain files not opening, start menu stopped working, file corruptions.. i just needed to reinstall windows and this happens..

Help me pleaseeee..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2017 - 12:14 PM

What is the make and model of this computer? There is no data that needs to be backed up on this computer, correct? You have the licenses to any purchased software such as Microsoft Office?

Boot the Windows install media. At the screen where you are asked for language press Shift + F10. This will open a command prompt. Type the following commands.

diskpart

list disk

Is there an asterisk under the GPT column? Depending on if there is an asterisk or not would let me know what diskpart commands to use on a clean install. This would wipe the disk and this is the reason I asked about any purchases software or data.

#3 LilyMartinez

LilyMartinez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2017 - 12:23 PM

I have the ' CYBERPOWERPC Gamer Xtreme GXIVR8020A4 Desktop Gaming PC (Intel i5-7400 3.0GHz, AMD RX 580 4GB, 8GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB 7200RPM HDD, WiFi, Win 10 Home)'

I have no data that needs to be backed up and I do have all of the licenses etc..

I did the diskpart and listdisk, there is an asterisk under the gpt on my disk 0

Edited by LilyMartinez, 05 December 2017 - 12:26 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2017 - 12:37 PM

Okay,

If you are still at the diskpart command type the following or reboot the disk and press Shift + F10 to open the command prompt. Type the following commands.

diskpart

list disk

select disk X      Where X is the disk number of where you will install Windows to. This is usually disk 0.

clean                  This will delete all disk partitions and set the drive up for a clean install.

convert gpt         Initializes the disk as gpt for booting on a UEFI computer. If you get an error ignore it.

exit                     Exits out of diskpart

exit                     Exits out of command prompt

Continue with the install. When you get to the screen showing your disk press next( Image 10 in the below clean install guide) and Windows will automatically partition and format the disk. It will not be necessary to select drive options - advanced as the partitions have already been deleted using the clean command. Simply click next. The guide is for Windows 8 but the steps are good for 10

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-clean-install-windows-8-or-8-1-2626254

#5 LilyMartinez

LilyMartinez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2017 - 12:45 PM

Ok I've done that and so far it's working! When I last tried to do the actual install it was giving me errors saying I couldn't install windows with my USB, but after that it's working.. I'll keep you updated and see if it works when the install finishes

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2017 - 12:56 PM

It probably gave that error because it saw an OS already on the drive. The diskpart clean command took care of that.

#7 LilyMartinez

LilyMartinez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2017 - 01:07 PM

Thank you very much! Everything is working now.. I appreciate your help, I can focus on my finals now and I won't die from Stress. I'm just going to be running some memory diagnostics but everything boots and everything works that's what is important.

Edited by LilyMartinez, 05 December 2017 - 01:08 PM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2017 - 01:14 PM

Your Welcome, glad to have helped and thanks for the update. That was a fast install.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users