Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Erasing Xp Operating System

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Fernando Maravilla

Fernando Maravilla

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 25 September 2006 - 03:11 PM

i bought a computer running XP and i wanted to revert it back to it's predeccesor 98 SE. i have to switch it back because apparently this person didn't know about the whole activation anti-piracy thing that microsoft has, but whatever. i get a computer out of this mess. slow, but it's still a computer. so i was wondering how i would go about deleting the XP OS and i figure after that is erased i can just pop in the 98 SE disk and install away.

so can anybody help?

thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 25 September 2006 - 06:26 PM

Hi Fernando Maravilla,

I applaud you for removing the bogus copy of XP. Thank you for being honest. Try Bootdisk.com. You should be able to make a working bootdisk and then fdisk the NTFS partition.

You could also try booting to your 98 disk and then using fdisk (Under the win98 directory if I remember correctly) to remove the non-dos partitions. Repartition/format the drive and all should be well.

Hope this helps...

rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 25 September 2006 - 06:26 PM

Get a W98 boot disk, use it to format the dive and then Install W98

If you do not have one, download one from bootdisk.com

You may have to change the boot order in the bios, first to boot from the floppy so you can use the boot disk, and then the CD so it will boot the installation CD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users