Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Easiest way to test RAM?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mystic12

mystic12

• Members
  • 1,502 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 05 December 2017 - 09:52 AM

Hey guys, I am working on a Dell Optiplex 780 desktop. Owner says the pc was doing automatic updates then shut off, since then he could not get it to go to windows desktop as there was 6 beeps when you hit the power button, those 6 beeps in my research showed "faulty video card" but when I reseated the RAM sticks it is now working.

So I started Memtest an hour ago but what I would like to know is 2 things please, why the 6 beeps if I can now see video as normal after reseating the ram?

Also, I am seeing best way to test RAM is to text one stick at a time via Memtest but this can take forever I am thinking because since there are 4 slots, I would need to text each of the 4 sticks in each slot to rule out a bad slot so is there a shorter but accurate way?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 592 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 05 December 2017 - 01:12 PM

onboard video can also use shared memory from your ram sticks.  so therefore it could be reseating the ram could fix your issue.

#3 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,502 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2017 - 01:17 PM

Thanks. Memtest has been running for more than 4 hours now with 2 passes and no errors and all is well so I guess reseating the ram has fixed the issue?

#4 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 06 December 2017 - 10:56 AM

Also, I am seeing best way to test RAM is to text one stick at a time via Memtest but this can take forever I am thinking because since there are 4 slots, I would need to text each of the 4 sticks in each slot to rule out a bad slot so is there a shorter but accurate way?

Unfortunately no and memtest should be allowed to run for at least 5/6 passes, see canned info below;

How to physically test your RAM with or without also running Memtest 86, this may take some time to complete but is a more accurate test than running any software while all memory is in the board. 

The following checks require the computer case to be opened so take the following safety precautions 1st, disconnect any attached hardware such as the keyboard and printer etc, disconnect the power cord from the wall socket, press the case power button for 10 seconds or so to get rid of any residual charge in the system, remove the side of the case, be sure to take anti static precautions before touching anything inside, you can do this by touching a bare metal part of the case or the PSU.

Have a pencil and notepad to hand.

Remove each stick of RAM and blow out the memory slots.

Insert the first stick of RAM in memory slot one, reconnect the power and in the case of a desktop computer the video to screen cable.

Power up the computer and see how it goes.

Make a note of the results.

Repeat the procedure until the first stick of RAM has been tested in each memory slot and the results written down.

Remove the first stick of RAM and put it to one side on top of a piece of paper with the number one on it for identification purposes.

Repeat the procedure with all RAM until each stick has been tested in all slots, the results written down and the sticks identified numerically.

Please note that some MBs (motherboards) will not boot unless there is RAM in slot one, in this instance check each stick in slot one and then leave a stick in slot one while the sticks are tested in the other slots, be sure to replace the stick in slot one with another so that can also be tested in the other slots.

#5 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,502 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2017 - 11:09 AM

That's a lot of work but great info, thanks!

#6 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 06 December 2017 - 12:26 PM

Aye, pain in the proverbial to do but more accurate in the long run (no pun intended  :whistle: )

Thanks btw mystic12  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users