Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD/CD Recognized in Device Manager but isn't working

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JazzMahn

JazzMahn

• Members
  • 395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 05 December 2017 - 09:47 AM

I am helping a friend that has a HP Pavilion Vista Machine.  It was not working but I was able to backup pictures, music, etc.

I then did a restore to Factory Condition and all is working well except the DVD/CD drive.  It shows in Device Manager and shows that it should be working. When a disc is inserted it you can see the drive light working but it will not open either a CD or a DVD.

I have a Windows 7 copy that I want to put on the machine but with the DVD not working I can't install.  I would sure appreciate any ideas.  The machine has a dual core processor and 6 gigs of RAM so I am sure it would handle Windows 7.  Please give me some ideas so I can get Windows 7 installed.

The Device Manager shows no errors on any of the devices.

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 05 December 2017 - 10:07 AM

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "it shows that it should be working". The only way to know if an optical drive is working is - well - whether or not it works. I'm guessing you've tried several discs (blank and recorded) with no success? If so, the likelihood is that the drive needs to be replaced. They are neither expensive nor hard to replace, so if I were you I'd get a new one.

One other thing you can try is to move the device to the top of the boot order in bios, insert a bootable disc, and reboot. If the system sees it and boots to it, then the problem is something in the OS. If it doesn't, then for sure you should replace the drive.

Edited by Allan, 05 December 2017 - 10:09 AM.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 05 December 2017 - 10:55 AM

If this Vista computer can boot a USB flash drive you can create an iso from the Windows 7 DVD on another computer using Imgburn then use Rufus with the iso to create the bootable USB flash drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users