Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win XP pro restarted multiple times and Word lost all data

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 WBUS

WBUS

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 05 December 2017 - 09:19 AM

Have had several technicians look into this and all say Word has no trace that there was data there. They say there is no record of Trojans or other virus' there that would cause it to reformat.  Help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 WBUS

WBUS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2017 - 09:28 AM

I rarely have accessed the internet (3 or 4 times a year) Main computer now has primary hard disk that wont load, and Sony Vio laptop did this thing. 

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 05 December 2017 - 09:36 AM

Specific Sony Vaio model, please?

Did any of these "technicians"...verify the functional status of the hard drive by running a diagnostic of any sort?

Louis

#4 WBUS

WBUS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2017 - 09:58 AM

Have to check on the laptop, disappointingly have to go and pick it up  again.  They said all functioning fine, just "outdated". Harddrive spins fine, I just did not copy to portable hardrive before this odd thing happened. They said its functions fine... does not make sense.

My main computer said to have run out of lubricant on the spindle, so it will not run. The Laptop I thought was a savior, did this thing. I read an article of yours on ckdsk, and will ask if that was checked. In my many talks about this, it has fresh from the start functionality. go figure.. with none of my data!! 

I will get back touch you on model and serial #; if that helps. Thank You!!

Edited by hamluis, 05 December 2017 - 11:51 AM.
Merged posts - Hamluis.

#5 WBUS

WBUS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:36 AM

SonyVaioVGN-FS630/W.

CKDSK was run immediately, Passed all hard drive tests. Most recent of data recovery was "Kuva?" Said that was the most effective of ones they ever use. nothing. 

It is difficult to recreate, even though a fresh outlook on what I should know, history and current data. These endless items gone? go figure. Tough.

If you wish , please tell me any you wish, not well spoken, but alas, Words are not what I have the most of. Thank You!, And Thank You For Your Interest! Many Thanks, Ben.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:26 AM

Well..I am not sure I understand your concern or why you posted this topic.

If you have the computer in question at a local computer shop...and they are diagnosing/advising you on what may or may not be problematical...what is it that you seek here by posting a topic on said computer?

Louis

#7 WBUS

WBUS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2017 - 08:23 AM

A handful of local technicians found no solution, I lost and I care, so I went broader to hear if others have had either of these two major problems; and if solutions can be addressed. Loosing lifetimes of work, memories, and business data, contacts, invoices paid and unpaid; I could go on.

Has any one had this happen since Win XP was no longer supported? Is this a consequence of using something that worked for me until I crashed?

My issue on my main desktop hard drive "out of spindle grease" so it will not spin; I at least lost, but until info deteriorates, maybe I can access again. my laptop, with it just reformatting, did someone crash it or just... power surged or something.  

Someone helpful somewhere must have experienced this. To throw money at it just to keep having people look, could bury it further, out of reach too.  I suppose this mimics  my happiness with WIN 3.1 then had to go to Win ME and 95, Part of the reason I prefer pen and paper, although, that gets hard to carry. or organizable.. Maybe this helps, 

Finding the ability to utilize our transitioning topics of life, can be a chore. And when it is locked in some box, unaccessable, well that is another story too. Thank you. 

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,705 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 10 December 2017 - 06:36 PM

Desktop hard drive "out of spindle grease"  -  Piffle !  Balderdash !  Poppycock !

Unless this was put to you as a joke does the 'technician' who told you this believe that hard drives are like the propshafts on cars from the '50s that needed a greasegun taking to them every few thousand miles ?  Hard drives can and do fail from time to time but it is not due to lack of grease but to the failure of the controlling electronics built into the drive. It can also be caused by gross physical mistreatment like the computer being dropped.

As for data on your laptop - the Sony Vaio - do NOT re-format it as this will definitely wipe any data on it. Do you have access to another computer with internet access?  If you do I suggest you download 32 bit Pupppy Linux, burn it either to a CD or to a USB memory stick (use 'Rufus' from Akeo Software to do this) and boot your laptop from it. This will not turn your computer into a 'Linux' box, Puppy runs entirely in RAM and when you shut down it is gone.

How to get started -  http://puppylinux.org/main/Overview%20and%20Getting%20Started.htm

How to download -  http://puppylinux.org/main/How%20to%20download%20Puppy.htm

And choose this version -  http://puppylinux.org/main/Long-Term-Supported%20Puppy.htm#lucidpuppy

Once it is running you can use its tools to search for any data that may be on your laptop's hard drive and move it to external storage. Once you have saved what data you can then you can think about re-installing whatever needs to be installed on your laptop.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users