Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

unexpected updates and changes upon fresh computer start

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 05 December 2017 - 02:24 AM

Windows did some changes upon a fresh startup this evening, maybe from some Updates that I did not expect.

New background picture seen before going into Windows.  This is the first change of picture since buying the machine more than a year ago.  Picture never changed on its own - until today.  The new picture does not bother me; just is a surprise.

Upon entering my password to enter Windows a couple more things happened.

A few minutes of blue screen with instructions for me to wait for changes to happen.

Message from tasktray - some kind of audio installer being removed - I have no idea what this was/is/meant.

New "people" icon now appears in right side of task tray.  There was never any such icon before.  Now there is.  I don't know what to do with it nor what it means.  

Otherwise Windows looks normal.

Just curious if anyone understand these things.  Today is not, as far as I know, supposed to be a regular time for Windows Updates.

Just for information, Windows 10, Dell Inspiron laptop of about 14 months, 64-bit machine

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 opera

opera

• Members
  • 999 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 05 December 2017 - 02:40 AM

Sounds like you have been updated to build 1709.

You can check this by right-clicking on the start button, selecting 'run' and typing in the word winver and clicking OK.

As regards the people icon, you can either right-click on the task bar and untick the option to show the people button, or go to Settings..Personalisation...Taskbar and scroll down to the bottom to do the People settings.

I have them all turned off  :)

#3 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 05 December 2017 - 03:00 AM

That is the version on the machine; but I do not know for how long it has been at that version.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users