Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help With Power Supply Question!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 plarsen86

plarsen86

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 25 September 2006 - 02:52 PM

This might sound like a stupid question, but I dont know a whole lot about installing computer parts. I would like to buy a video card, but my power supply doesnt meet the requirements. I need a 400w Power Supply. Since I got one of the cheap Dells I am going to have to get a new one. For my question will any Power Supply work. Like can I just take the one out and put a new one in?? If it doesnt matter and this question just is stupid does anyone have a good but somewhat cheap power supply??
Thanks
Parker

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 25 September 2006 - 04:15 PM

"The power supply that came with your Dell computer, manufactured since September of 1998, may look like a standard ATX power supply. A standard ATX power supply will even physically fit into the Dell computer and the electrical components will look like they line up, however, if you don't use a proprietary Dell power supply or a Dell to ATX Power Supply Converter with your standard ATX power supply, your computer will not work and damage may occur to the motherboard and/or the standard power supply.
Your Dell Power Supply May Be Proprietary

Like many other pre-fabricated computer manufacturers, Dell has chosen to go with many proprietary computer components instead of using industry standard computer parts. When it is time for replacement or upgrade of these components, they have to be purchased from Dell. In Dell's case, one of the proprietary parts is one you might not expect: your Dell power supply may look like a standard ATX power supply, but in fact cannot be replaced with a standard ATX power supply. The reason you need a proprietary Dell power supply is because Dell has been using specially modified ATX motherboards with non-standard pinout of the motherboard power connectors. This Dell to ATX adapter converts between the non-standard pinout to the standard ATX pinout and turns a standard ATX power supply into the equivalent of a Dell power supply.
Adapter To Turn Standard ATX Power Supply Into A proprietary Dell Power Supply

If you own a proprietary Dell computer and wish to use one of our quiet power supplies (all of which are standard ATX power supplies), you can simply add this converter to the quiet power supply and have a quiet Dell setup.
Known exceptions:

Pentium 4 Dell Models that do not require a power supply adapter:
Dell Dimension 4300, 4400, 4700, 8200, 8300, OptiPlex GX 400

Pentium 4 Dell Models that are not compatible with this power supply adapter:
Dell Dimension 8100

Notes: If you are unsure if your Dell requires one of our Dell Power Supply Adapters, please take a close look at the Dell motherboard pictured at the top of this page and see if your motherboard has the extra connector pictured on the left. Also Some Dell machines chassis may need to have material removed to make room for a standard power supplies ON/OFF switch.
http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/std/sk...lconverter.html

I found the above in a Google search for "power supply for dell computer"

It states that Dells use a proprietary setup and the link on the page offers a converter - but warns of possible fit problems.

You have run into one of the problems of buying a computer that uses proprietary parts instead of industry standard ones.

I am not saying you can't accomplish what you are trying to do, but research it fully and exercise caution.

#3 Gary335

Gary335

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2006 - 08:32 AM

That is a big problem with buying name brand computers. You end up being stuck with a useless hunk of metal when something goes up, because it can't be replaced with normal parts.

#4 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 26 September 2006 - 10:20 AM

The above post is not true for the Dimension 4550!! Yes, it is true that most Dells are generally proprietary, but the Dimension 4550 is not. I know this from experience.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2006 - 05:17 PM

Just found this link at Shell Extension City for a power supply calculator: http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users