Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Novice 'File History' Question

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 chiiibill

chiiibill

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 04 December 2017 - 08:58 PM

Recently became aware of option to back up files via File history. Turned it on.

My novice questions are:

1.  If I have my backup drive connected, is there a real-time backup as I work on my computer over the day? Or is it better to just connect backup drive, say, at the end of the day?

2.  With File History turned on, does it save to ANY backup drive that is connected?? Or can you designate a specific backup/flash drive for backup and it will ignore others?

Thanks.

Edited by chiiibill, 04 December 2017 - 09:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,984 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:34 PM

Recently became aware of option to back up files via File history. Turned it on.

My novice questions are:

1.  If I have my backup drive connected, is there a real-time backup as I work on my computer over the day? Or is it better to just connect backup drive, say, at the end of the day?

Part of setting up File History is selecting how often it should check if a file has changed before backing it up. If memory serves, the default is hourly (1 Hour), which is too frequent for me but for some it would be ideal. I set mine to "Daily."

If you have no reason to disconnect your drive it's fine to leave it connected 24/7, though some say not to if you're worried about ransomware. For myself, I connect it every once in a while, particularly if I know I've uploaded photos or been working on documents during the day that I definitely want to have backed up.

Also be sure to check the retention period, which is "Forever" by default. That's overkill for me, as I've never been interested in a version of a file over 3 months old in all the time I've been using a computer. I've set my retention period to 3 months, which I think is the minimum.

2.  With File History turned on, does it save to ANY backup drive that is connected?? Or can you designate a specific backup/flash drive for backup and it will ignore others?

You must define a specific drive (or drives) as File History drives. I tend to intentionally reassign the drive letter to something way up the alphabet for the drive I want to use so that it's very easy to distinguish from things like USB jump drives, SD cards, etc., that you pop in and out at random and tend to get F, G, H, etc., assigned as their drive letters.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 chiiibill

chiiibill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:48 PM

Thanks for the thorough explanation.

And, I believe, it was thanks to your assist in another of my posts that I first became aware of the File History option.

Many thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users