Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Build A Windows Home Server?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ccrr

ccrr

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 04 December 2017 - 05:26 PM

I'm looking to build a Home Server. 

I have 7 computers running Windows 10 Pro, 2 running Windows 10 Home, and one Mac, I would like to have these on the server.

I have an old computer that has XP professional on it, 32bit I do believe. Can I use this for the server?
Can I incorporate the Mac with the sever?

Basically, I need to know how to set it up, what do I need, whats the best software to use. Should I use Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials or Мícrоsoft Wíndоws Server 2012 R2 Standard OEM (2 CPU/2 VM) - Base License, or something else?

I would rather not use Linux but I'm not ruling out that option.

Do I need to reinstall all OS's, do they have to be a domain? 

I want to do this for the experience, to learn about it and how it works. 

Are there any good web links I can go to for this information? 

Thank you all very much for any help, direction or advise you can give me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 androbourne

androbourne

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 05 December 2017 - 10:01 AM

Well. First off we need to know what type of server you are looking for.

Do you actually want to make a DOMAIN at home? Or simple have a server for things like file sharing and applications? Because you can do that without a domain network.

I would not recommend using the old XP machine as your primary server for 10+ devices. The fact it has XP we know the hardware is old and you would have to go through the time for reformatting it with a WIndows Server OS. It's just not worth it.

If you are doing this for experience and just want something to play around in. I would recommend you use one of your best spec'ed Windows 10 machines and learn to use Hyper-V. It comes with Windows 10 and you simply just need to enable it in the feature options. Spin up a Windows Server VM in your Windows 10 machine and play around with it first. Before deciding what type of server\domain you want and decide if you want to end up with a virtual machine or a physical one.

#3 ccrr

ccrr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 06 December 2017 - 03:27 AM

androbourne,

I'm not really sure what type of server I' looking for. I'm just wanting some experience in building, running one. I guess one that doesn't cost more then a couple hundred dollars, if that's possible. 

That's a really good ideal to do it in Hyper-V. Thank you.

Thank you for your help, and taking time to do it. 

It is greatly appreciated. 

#4 32dave

32dave

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2017 - 10:28 AM

I am running Windows Home Server 2011 I built it my self hardware is as follows :Intel DQ9365gf motherboard E7600 processor 4 gigs of ram (with another 4 coming) 11 hdds intel T340 quad Ethernet port in a HAF912 case with four fans and a 550 watt psu which is way over spec for the OS but it works well. So if you just need something to back up computers or share media this works well 

#5 androbourne

androbourne

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2017 - 03:16 PM

androbourne,

I'm not really sure what type of server I' looking for. I'm just wanting some experience in building, running one. I guess one that doesn't cost more then a couple hundred dollars, if that's possible. 

That's a really good ideal to do it in Hyper-V. Thank you.

Thank you for your help, and taking time to do it. 

It is greatly appreciated. 

Yeah if you are not 100% sure what you want to start off with on the server type. Stick with Hyper-V for sure, its easy to below up and recreate if you break something during an install etc... plus no need to purchase additional hardware.

I'd recommend you just play around with common technologies. Like Active Directory, DNS, DHCP, File sharing roles, GPO, etc.... but that's if you are into the real daily grind aspect of computing.

Now if you want to have some fun, you could skip all that and start with installing and playing around with some self hosted solutions. I personally run a Wordpress server, game server, FileRun (kinda like Dropbox but self hosted), and a Plex etc.... on a few servers.

Just to give you some ideas of things you can do with a self hosted server.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users