Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Managing/viewing large photo/video library on multiple devices

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 alpinemonkey

alpinemonkey

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 04 December 2017 - 04:35 PM

This could be a bit niche but bear with me.

In this connected world, the one big issue I'm having at the moment is making the most of our large family digital photo and video library.

The library currently sits on an external wifi drive at home (a WD MyCloud).  Everything is also currently backed-up via Code42's CrashPlan.  I'm on Windows 10.

There is a WD app through which I can access my files from a smartphone but it's really slow and the images don't load with preview thumbnails.

I've been looking in to iCloud but from what I've read, if you're dealing with a huge library that you'd like to access (we're talking in the region of 150GB at the moment), the photos are slow to load on an iPhone too and it requires alot of waiting again to see the thumbnails (not to mention the 'months' I've heard it taking to set such a large library up on iCloud and then gain access on an iPhone).

So, the big questions are:

1) How do you all manage/access/view your digital photo libraries
2) What do you think is the best solution for my dilemma?

Ultimately, the goal is to be able to browse through our family photos from anywhere, not just sitting at the laptop at home.  And by browse, I'd want thumbnails and also for some auto-organisation (either by date taken or using the folder structure I currently use on the WD drive).

Thanks in advance - hope you can help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users