Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Write Protected USB Drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Iceriver19

Iceriver19

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 04 December 2017 - 04:10 PM

Good afternoon Everyone,

I had a write protected USB drive that i would like to remove the read only attribute.  One problem i have is the original PC that this was put on was stolen.  So i didnt know if there were any software programs that could remove the read only attribute forcefully or could break the read only.

Here is what i have tried:

1. Plugged USB drive into my new PC.  Ran Diskpart (in admin of course) Diskpart says it successfully removed the read only attribute. But when you run the "detail disk" it shows it has not been removed.  Tried formatting anyways, failed.

2. Tried Rufus.  It fails as well. 

3.  I have Googled and tried a few other programs that say they can do it, but they fail as well. 

Don't really care about the data on the drive, i can recreate it no problem.  If the answer is to throw away the drive then that's the answer.  Just wanted to give it one last shot before I shoot it.

Thanks for your time, thoughts and input.

~IceRiver19~

One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man.

– Elbert Hubbard

______________________________________________________________________________________

~IceRiver19~

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,442 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2017 - 04:48 PM

I doubt it will work but see if doing a low level format on the drive using the below tool works. Make sure you are selecting the correct device. After the wipe you will need to partition and format the USB flash drive.

http://hddguru.com/software/HDD-LLF-Low-Level-Format-Tool/

Some USB flash drives like Sandisk put themselves in read only mode if they detect a write fault. There is nothing that can be done once a flash drive becomes read only if diskpart cannot remove the attribute outside of there being some mechanical switch on the flash drive itself. Sometimes a firmware flash will bring the drive back but that depends on if firmware is available for the drive or not.

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/All-SanDisk-USB-Flash-Drives/Sandisk-cruzer-16GB-became-read-only/td-p/255218/page/2

#3 Iceriver19

Iceriver19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2017 - 07:59 AM

Thank you for your reply.  I tried but did not work.  I guess i will just trash this drive.  Thanks for your help.

Have a great day!

One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man.

– Elbert Hubbard

______________________________________________________________________________________

~IceRiver19~

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,442 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2017 - 08:27 AM

Your Welcome, if you have a best buy near you I think they currently have a sale.

#5 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 841 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 05 December 2017 - 06:39 PM

try this:

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/how-to/storage/remove-write-protection-usb-3633096/

#6 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,412 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 05 December 2017 - 06:46 PM

I have to agree with John on this one.

I've had a number of SanDisk Cruzer 'Blades' over the past few years; they're pretty cheap for what they are. The 32 GB and 8 GB models have never been known to suffer from this problem.....it always seems to be the 16 GB models that will flip into 'read-only' mode at the slightest provocation.

It was eventually discovered that it all stemmed from a batch of faulty firmware chips that SanDisk had sourced from Hynix. Hynix were aware of the problem, but refused point-blank to do anything about it, citing various legal 'cover-my-ass' type reasons that they claimed tied their hands from doing anything to resolve matters.

The eventual advice from SanDisk, following a huge user campaign (and a very long-running thread on the SanDisk forums), was that if you had this problem, then you should return it to them and they would replace it, no questions asked. What the outcome of all this was I don't know.....but it can't have done their reputation any good.

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/All-SanDisk-USB-Flash-Drives/SanDisk-Cruzer-Blade-16GB-write-protected-error/td-p/253484

This particular thread was running for nearly 6 years..! The whole sorry business seems to have eventually kind of 'fizzled out'.....

The moral of this tale would seem to be to spend a bit more on your drives in the first place.....and to give SanDisk a miss. Although, having said that, I use a number of their Ultra 'Fit' nano-sized USB 3.0 drives (including a pair of 128 GB models as permanent 'external storage' in my elderly Dell laptop).....and those have never given the slightest bit of trouble. Apart from running hot enough to fry an egg on.....but that's another story entirely!

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 05 December 2017 - 07:21 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users