Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thinking of having a home NAS

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gasman336

gasman336

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 04 December 2017 - 12:58 PM

Our family are electronic junkies, my daughter love youtube, games, quizzes, checking out Facebook. I do CADD work at home, Excel, publisher and so one. We also have a lot of digital photos too. We have two desktop computers, a laptop, smartphones, and tablets. I will be buying a wifi Tv next year. I thought of setting up a NAS for accessing files from all devices(if possible) and archiving photos. The question is this the right direction to go??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 04 December 2017 - 03:37 PM

Maybe.  I've got three Drobo 5N devices myself.  Mostly because I have a ton of drives sitting around and it was the easiest way to put them back in use.  One of the best things about the Drobo is that they can be easily configured to run apps.  I'm running the FTP on one to allow a wireless camera to store images on it.  I mostly access via the file shares.  I've used VLC on a tablet to watch videos on the Drobo and can also watch them on my Smart TV.

The Drobo 5N devices are currently lower in price as they have been replaced by the Drobo 5N2.

Network storage isn't going to do squat for YouTube, Facebook and other web based applications.  What network storage will do for you is allow you to centralize your data so that everyone can use it.  Depending on the NAS solution you select, it may also be included to protect you from a drive failure.   A NAS can be used to back up your other devices.  With today's encrypting malware you can't be too save with your data.

#3 Replicator

Replicator

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 12 December 2017 - 08:19 AM

A logical solution gasman.......My TS-453A runs on a Linux platform which makes it a superb gateway for loT application shares with other devices.

Your own private cloud, with LUN Snapshot – allowing files/folders to revert to a previous state in case of any corruption or loss, and raid5 ofcourse.

A quad-core Intel processor which allows you 4K (H.264) video playback and 1080p/4K video real-time transcoding directly to an HD/4K display. 

Supports Virtualization (VMware), remote desktop or even set the kids up with a personal karaoke system with the new OceanKTV app.

Good luck  :wink:  

Edited by Replicator, 12 December 2017 - 08:21 AM.

#4 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 12 December 2017 - 12:48 PM

check your router out a lot of router have the feature of them have a usb connection for adding an external device specifically for backing up data & media streaming.  quick and easy to setup.

#5 Replicator

Replicator

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 12 December 2017 - 09:01 PM

check your router out a lot of router have the feature of them have a usb connection for adding an external device specifically for backing up data & media streaming.  quick and easy to setup.

Personally, I would stay away from this type of setup as its often problematic, delivers poor quality streaming and slow data serves. (USB 0.2 v's Ethernet or WiFi....there is no comparison). USB 0.3 may improve this slightly, but still not in the same league.

Most router CPU's are also often, not up to the task of network data service demands!

Edited by Replicator, 12 December 2017 - 09:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users