Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backing up family computers

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gasman336

gasman336

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 04 December 2017 - 12:07 PM

Okay, let me start off by saying that I have two home desktops computers, they are both Dell's running Windows 7 professional 64 bit. I like to get the habit of backing up our data - especially photos and my Microsoft money data. Dell keeps asking me to make recovery and backup disk but I was thinking of purchasing a large external hard drive or should we upload the backup in an online storage or both?  What would be the easiest to do? You never think of this thing until you encounter a problem so I want to be more proactive.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,843 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2017 - 12:16 PM

Easeus Todo Backup Free allows you to create complete disk images and or file backups on a schedule to a USB external drive, both incremental and differential. It has an easy to learn interface. It also allows you to mount the complete disk image as a virtual disk so you can pull any file out of the image. It will create a bootable DVD or USB flash drive. This would let you recover the disk image from the external drive should the computer no longer boot because of malware or file system corruption. If the drive fails you can replace with a clean new drive, boot the Easeus boot media, and recover the image from the external drive. No partition and format is required.

https://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/free-backup-software.htm

Easeus also has the option to do a cloud backup to one of the cloud services if you have an account.

https://www.easeus.com/support/todo-backup/cloud-backup.html

Edited by JohnC_21, 04 December 2017 - 12:34 PM.

#3 gasman336

gasman336
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2017 - 12:19 PM

Great. Thank you. 

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,843 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2017 - 12:35 PM

Your Welcome, hope Easeus works for you. 

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 04 December 2017 - 12:36 PM

"...recovery and backup disk..."  Go ahead and make both a USB and a DVD set; one never knows when such is needed.  Although +1 to the previous poster about using a well-known/well-respected 3rd party backup / restore / clone program to make routine, bi-monthly or bi-weekly, backups onto any affordable, reliable, external media.

I see JohnC and I posted at the same time  :)

Edited by RolandJS, 04 December 2017 - 12:37 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (sevenforums)

Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup... -- RockE (Windows Secrets Lounge)

#6 MLink

MLink

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 07 December 2017 - 11:42 AM

Honestly for photos, I think these are precious and I will never take a risk with these.

I store all photos on a Virtual Machine on a RAID5 volume, which is sync'd to Google Drive, and then also backed up onto external HDD.

Backing up to HDD is okay - just don't keep them in the same building - Offsite is always best!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users