Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stops at startup

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Sanskrit

Sanskrit

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2017 - 11:43 AM

Help
I don't know if I can fix this or if I must take this to a tech.

I was using my laptop at school, I closed it and assume it went to either hibernation or sleep mode; but it wouldn't do anything. It just showed a black screen.

Did a hard reset and when asked to start windows normally it stops there.

Tried the safe mode and shows the distinctive blue starting screen and the pointer but doesn't let me log in.

Tried the Advanced Mode with F8 and stops at:
\Windows\System32\drivers\aswbidsha.sys

I'm using a Sony Vaio, so I tried the Vaio Care pressing F10 prior startup, but it also stops.

It doesn't freeze per se as it allows me to move the cursor/pointer when failing to start in safe mode.

Also did try to startup the previous session, but it also stops at startup (just shows the windows flag and says starting windows).

What can I do??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 04 December 2017 - 11:58 AM

aswbidsha.sys belongs to an Avast product.  Did you update Avast recently?

I'll listen in and learn from the experience and knowledge of others as I do not have a solution yet for you.

I take it you do not have current, restorable, backups on external media prior to the Avast update?

Edited by RolandJS, 04 December 2017 - 11:59 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#3 Sanskrit

Sanskrit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2017 - 01:07 PM

I don't recall having a recent update and no I don't have a proper backup.
I do have some files saved. External storage some months ago, but not everything I currently need.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users