Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PSU, Motherboard, CPU.. gets warm but not really HOT.. :O

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Doghen

Doghen

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 04 December 2017 - 11:15 AM

Hi there, my oldest pc does kinda weird..

when i turn my pc on the PSU draws out cool air.. but after few hours when i feel to my PSU it's blows like hot air out, but can't feel the air so good then.. should this be a Problem, the fan in the PSU is working properly.. my Motherboard runs in Idle 37-40° Degrees.. after some hours of running 45-65° Degrees..  but iknow if a Motherboard is warming up thats its normal, but i dont know with this Degrees, my CPU is always running at 23-42° Degrees.. hard drive always around 27-35.. whats normal i think :/ and i dont use any GPU only the on-board Graphics with VGA Cable, here are my old computer specs:

Windows 10 64x Bit (Default is Windows 7 64x Bit) [Windows Version]

Intel core 2 Duo E4400 @ 2.00Gh'z (2 Core's) x64-Processor Conroe 65nm Technology [Processor]

4.00GB Ram Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 332MHz (5-5-5-15) [RAM Sticks]

Hewlett-Packard 0A60h (XU1 PROCESSOR) [MotherBoard]

Intel Q965/Q963 Express Chipset Family (HP) [On-board Graphics]

74GB Seagate ST380315AS ATA Device (SATA) [Hard Drive]

HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-H60L ATA Device [DVD Drive]

High Definition Audio-Device [Default Audio System] 

Can anyone help me with this and help me because i'm freaking out that when i feel at my PSU i only feel warm, but i dont feel the air, when i put my hand fully to the PSU i feel some air coming out also my fans are working properly there is 1 AirFlow Fan thats feels the same like my PSU (The fan is not hot but you know what i mean) and 1 CPU Fan that blows the air out of the Front immediatly.. (Cold air i think it feels so) 

it is an HP Compaq DC5800 Mid-Tower Case (i think everything in it is Default like Motherboard, processor, and that stuff) 

I hope somebody can help me out with this air-problem :/ (just in case i dont have money to buy new fans or anything just want to know if this is normal for a PSU/Motherboard to run so much Degrees) and also when my earphones are plugged in i hear some rear sounds like vrrrrr or something is this also Normal?

Cheers! :D

for anyone who will see the Motherboard, fans installation for the default this is the picture (the same as my pc inside not really look like this but the CPU fan and backfans are the same as in the Picture but i dont know from the Motherboard.. and sorry for my bad English i'm Belgium)

https://imgur.com/a/aOhy9

Edited by Doghen, 04 December 2017 - 11:17 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,368 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 04 December 2017 - 11:20 AM

When was the last time you blew air through the PSU, they tend to collect a lot of dust even more then the CPU.

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 5,567 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2017 - 11:28 AM

I'm with OldPhil.  If the case hasn't been popped off of this thing and the really loose "dust bunnies" vacuumed out (don't touch the hardware, other than the PSU, which you can pretty safely touch with the crevice tool along all the holes/slots in it) followed by a blowing out with canned air, strategically aimed at the CPU heatsink, for one, and any other areas where you see a dust collection, you really need to do this cleanup first.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

#4 Doghen

Doghen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2017 - 11:46 AM

When was the last time you blew air through the PSU, they tend to collect a lot of dust even more then the CPU.

Few months back.. everything gets cleaned out (dont use this pc so much) i always clean the inside with air-compressor (10-30 Centimeter away from the Case and then blow the Dust out.. the same for the PSU but than i blow the dust in the case and then Blow the Dust out of the Case again.., and for little parts like Fans i use a cotton swab to remove the dust from the Fans in the back.. same for CPU-fan.. and sometimes in 1-3 years i put new Thermal Pasta on the CPU.. i do this always and never get any problems i did the same with my new PC some months back and still working properly.. iknow some people clean the case/dust with a Vacuum cleaner or Air-compressor.. is this the good thing to do when i hold it 10-30 centimeters away from the case? and my room Temperature is around 15-22 Degrees.. in the Winter, and in the Summer a little more. :) Cheers

Edited by Doghen, 04 December 2017 - 11:55 AM.

#5 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 04 December 2017 - 03:39 PM

Few months back.. everything gets cleaned out (dont use this pc so much) i always clean the inside with air-compressor (10-30 Centimeter away from the Case and then blow the Dust out.. the same for the PSU but than i blow the dust in the case and then Blow the Dust out of the Case again.., and for little parts like Fans i use a cotton swab to remove the dust from the Fans in the back.. same for CPU-fan.. and sometimes in 1-3 years i put new Thermal Pasta on the CPU.. i do this always and never get any problems i did the same with my new PC some months back and still working properly.. iknow some people clean the case/dust with a Vacuum cleaner or Air-compressor.. is this the good thing to do when i hold it 10-30 centimeters away from the case? and my room Temperature is around 15-22 Degrees.. in the Winter, and in the Summer a little more. :) Cheers

how about the built up dust and hair balls that get caked between the fan and the heatsink if your not blowing that out then your defeating the purpose of the cleaning.  when cleaning a fan just stick your finger on it and keep it from spinning then blow it out with the air compressor or canned air.   but don't let it spin or you risk the bushing overheating and melting and ruining your fan.

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,368 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2017 - 04:05 PM

To elaborate any time you blow compressed air through a DC volt fan always insert something so it is not allowed to spin.  Reason being when you spin a DC fan it produces electricity IE it turns into a generator!!!  It can but rarely does cause harm to other electrical parts in the computer.

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#7 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,119 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:02 PM

Your temps look fine however keep these things in mind:

Always keep the machine clean and free of dust

Make sure your machine isnt in a enclosed space or too close to the wall

Keep an eye on your PSU, seems this is a old machine and it may be failing if its pumping out hot air, clean it from dust as well but you may wish to change your power supply.

Edited by MadmanRB, 04 December 2017 - 11:11 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

gh8un5-6.png

#8 Doghen

Doghen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2017 - 10:48 AM

Your temps look fine however keep these things in mind:

Always keep the machine clean and free of dust

Make sure your machine isnt in a enclosed space or too close to the wall

Keep an eye on your PSU, seems this is a old machine and it may be failing if its pumping out hot air, clean it from dust as well but you may wish to change your power supply.

Hmm, my PSU is not that Kinda-Hot, it just feels Warm after few hours running and when i push my hand completely at the PSU bottom i can feel the Fan is blowing hot air out of the PSU in the Back, so thats fine.. and i think this is not something important to worry about because any component come's hot, and when its hot the PSU needs to take more Power, and thats why the PSU gets warm i think? :/ but is the Motherboard temperature good? do i need to be alerted when it comes to my Motherboard temperature? Cheers..

#9 Doghen

Doghen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2017 - 10:52 AM

To elaborate any time you blow compressed air through a DC volt fan always insert something so it is not allowed to spin.  Reason being when you spin a DC fan it produces electricity IE it turns into a generator!!!  It can but rarely does cause harm to other electrical parts in the computer.

i always use an Air-compressor to clean out the dust from my PC (inside) but people always say that an Air-compressor pushed little water when the air comes out.. but i remove it 10-30 centimeter away from the Case, Fans, PSU.. so using an Air-compressor is a good thing for cleaning out Dust from a PC (inside?) or should i better use an Vacuum cleaner? and i always block the Fan and then use the air-compressor to remove the dust from the fan, and after that i always use an Cotton Swab to remove the sticky dust that is on the Fan blades that (black wing or something) Cheers!

#10 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,119 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2017 - 10:53 AM

The motherboard temps seem fine.

I am guessing the power supply is OEM?

If anything it is the power supply I would focus on, if the power supply is generating heat it could mean overloading capacitors.

And never use a vaccum cleaner on a PC, static electricity.

Air blowers are best.

Edited by MadmanRB, 05 December 2017 - 10:54 AM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

gh8un5-6.png

#11 Doghen

Doghen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2017 - 11:09 AM

The motherboard temps seem fine.

I am guessing the power supply is OEM?

If anything it is the power supply I would focus on, if the power supply is generating heat it could mean overloading capacitors.

And never use a vaccum cleaner on a PC, static electricity.

Air blowers are best.

is this a bad thing to worry about? can my PSU destroys my Hardware, when my PSU completely Fails or generate even More heat.. and just in case this is a very old PC, and my friend says when a PSU i getting warmer thats kinda normal because everything is generating heat.. or im wrong? should i leave it so? and i think why i feel hot air because my Motherboard is producing hot because the degrees and hot air goes up right? and then it will leave trough fan, holes.. right? so i think my PSU is not producing so much Heat/air do you think the Motherboard produces the hot air coming out of my PSU/Back Fans? the PSU doesn't feel Hot (The metalic case around the PSU is kinda cold, its just producing warm air out of my Fans..) Cheers!

Edited by Doghen, 06 December 2017 - 11:23 AM.

#12 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,119 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2017 - 11:33 AM

The PSU is the most critical part of any PC, rather it be a old cheap dell or a high end gaming desktop.

If the power supply goes yes it can damage your system and fry components.

Now yes computers generate heat, this is why I never put them in a enclosed space and keep them dust free.

Most of the temperatures you described are normal for your hardware thus why I would not worry about things like your motherboard.

Maybe your processor is a bit of a concern as no doubt its got thermal paste that is quite old so maybe you should get it some new thermal paste and either yourself or someone who knows computers can give you a fresh application of it.

But i would look at the power supply and its make and model, canniot be too careful as some PSU makers are cheap and HP is notorious for slipping in bad power supplies.

Edited by MadmanRB, 06 December 2017 - 11:47 AM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

gh8un5-6.png

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 06 December 2017 - 12:30 PM

The temperatures you posted are well within normal tolerances, I wouldn't worry about the warm air coming out of the PSU unless you are having any other problems related to the PSU.

Just out of curiosity, where did you get the temperature readings you posted? 

Have you run any programs to see what the rail voltages are showing for voltages?

Your computer's first release date was August of 2013, this would make this computer four years old at the most.  If a PSU begins to fail it usually is related to the breakdown of the electrolytic capacitors in the PSU.  As these breakdown the rail voltages will start to lower and can eventually reduce the voltages to the point that the computer will not be able to operate.  Other than an infant mortality this is usually the way PSUs fail.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

LUDoziL.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

speccy2.png

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy3.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Edited by dc3, 06 December 2017 - 01:03 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#14 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 461 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2017 - 01:16 PM

It's normal as everyone is telling you, you have an older pc which means that it's not as efficient as the newer pc's are today. New 80+ power supplies and also cpu's do not use the energy as they did on that older HP. Being a power supply from an older HP pc, your probably lucky if your getting 70% efficiency from it.

Getting something more up to date will help conserve your energy costs

Edited by Joe C, 06 December 2017 - 01:16 PM.

#15 Doghen

Doghen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2017 - 02:09 PM

The pc is running 1 hour right now.. here are my details of Speccy.. :)

Cheers!

The pc is running 1 hour right now.. here are my details of Speccy.. :)

https://imgur.com/a/qDBOx 

(sorry it would not lett me to post images i have tryed but dont work :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users