Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Much Needed PC Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 ForgerPro

ForgerPro

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2017 - 10:06 AM

Hello all.

Well, it's about that time for me to upgrade my personal computer. I made my computer back in 2013, and overall it has worked well. I followed this video to build it.  Expand the description to see the full list of what I used. I recently replaced the CPU cooler on it because it was heating up really bad. Overall that seems to have done the trick, though when I am gaming something very graphically intensive, it still heats up pretty bad. This could be because of it being enclosed within my desk. My main goal in upgrading is a combination of running the latest games at least on medium settings, and just general performance enhancement. Certainly I want to keep the total upgrade below $300-350$. Over the near 6 months, when money comes in, I will slowly buy any more new parts I need. The biggest help I am needing is finding the exact things to buy. I'm good with computer software, but all of the hardware lingo mostly goes over my head. I feel like a new graphics card would do me the most benefit right now. I would rather keep the price under 150$-200$ for the graphics card. I did some research close to a year ago, and I found the Radeon RX 460 to be a possibility, or the 470 (yet for some reason that thing is 350 dollars now, which I remember it to be much cheaper) Would these still be good options? Is there something I can get that will give me more bang for my buck? 

Thanks for the help all. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RecursiveNerd

RecursiveNerd

• Malware Study Hall Junior
  • 237 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 04 December 2017 - 11:02 AM

With that system, you're going to pretty much need an entirely new system (not to rain on your parade or anything). That system is severely outdated, and while you may be able to squeeze a little bit more performance out of it, it will not be worth the money.

Any GPU upgrade you do(considering you followed that build from the video) would need a new power supply. The 430W Corsair CX in that video is not very good quality. To play the latest games at medium settings, you would at the very least need a new: Motherboard, CPU, GPU, PSU, and RAM.

You can do a pretty decent upgrade for fairly cheap. Looking at replacing the parts above I would say you would need a budget of around $500 to make a somewhat decent upgrade.

#3 ForgerPro

ForgerPro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2017 - 12:56 PM

That's fine, I'll up the budget to $500. What I'll do is buy those parts over a period of about 4-6 months, slowly upgrading. Can you give me a list of what to upgrade, and in particular the best order to buy each part in? I assume a new power supply would be the first thing on the list? 

Edited by ForgerPro, 04 December 2017 - 12:57 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 04 December 2017 - 01:46 PM

Please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Go to Piriform's website, and download the free version on the left.  Click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version. You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):

post-33068-0-86653600-1480692866_thumb.j

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot.

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the ADD REPLY or REPLY TO THIS TOPIC button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Louis

#5 ForgerPro

ForgerPro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2017 - 07:00 PM

Ok sounds great, below should be my full computer specifications. 

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/nI4e5gJoKlmDK4WTEjksGhU

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,221 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:14 PM

Yeah with those specs a new system is going to be needed, however the cost is going to be higher than you want.

Even if you made a cheap Pentium build right now RAM prices are still high and cryptomining has really set off the prices of a lot of GPU's

I will do what i can on a pcpartpicker list but its probably going to run you over your budget.

$300 to $350 will get you very little.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/C6Fz3F

This is the best i can do but please let us know what power supply you have, we can work with some of your other hardware like the hard drive but you may need a new PSU

Edited by MadmanRB, 04 December 2017 - 09:20 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#7 ForgerPro

ForgerPro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:49 PM

Yeah with those specs a new system is going to be needed, however the cost is going to be higher than you want.

Even if you made a cheap Pentium build right now RAM prices are still high and cryptomining has really set off the prices of a lot of GPU's

I will do what i can on a pcpartpicker list but its probably going to run you over your budget.

$300 to $350 will get you very little.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/C6Fz3F

This is the best i can do but please let us know what power supply you have, we can work with some of your other hardware like the hard drive but you may need a new PSU

Thanks for the list! I tell you what, I'll up the budget to 400-500. As said before, I'll just buy the parts slowly over the next 6 months, that way I can stay within my budget. (Of course the cheaper the better if possible)

This is my power supply unit. 

Edited by ForgerPro, 04 December 2017 - 09:52 PM.

#8 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,221 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:53 PM

Well first thing I would do is change the power supply then.

Those CX models from corsair are garbage and not good for much of anything.

https://www.amazon.com/SeaSonic-550-Watt-CrossFire-Certified-SSR-550RM/dp/B00918MEZG/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1512442311&sr=1-4&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_two_browse-bin%3A6906984011%2Cp_89%3AEVGA%7CSeasonic

I would go for this one here, never cheap out on the power supply as you can have some good upgrade paths here anyhow.

Cheap out on the other parts but i would change out the PSU ASAP.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#9 ForgerPro

ForgerPro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2017 - 10:03 PM

Well first thing I would do is change the power supply then.

Those CX models from corsair are garbage and not good for much of anything.

https://www.amazon.com/SeaSonic-550-Watt-CrossFire-Certified-SSR-550RM/dp/B00918MEZG/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1512442311&sr=1-4&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_two_browse-bin%3A6906984011%2Cp_89%3AEVGA%7CSeasonic

I would go for this one here, never cheap out on the power supply as you can have some good upgrade paths here anyhow.

Cheap out on the other parts but i would change out the PSU ASAP.

Roger that Cap'n! Thanks a bunch! Would you suggest I go for that 750W version then instead of the 550? It seems to only be like 30 bucks more. Besides the power supply, should I just follow the other list you gave me then? 

Edited by ForgerPro, 04 December 2017 - 10:06 PM.

#10 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,221 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2017 - 10:08 PM

Well I was trying to keep it in your original budget.

I would change nothing really though, except maybe the motherboard.

Do you desire full size motherboards or are micro sized mother boards fine?

Also unless you are going mutli GPU dont bother with 750W or above power supplies.

GPU's are very energy efficient nowadays and dont eat up much power.

Even a overclocked 1080ti is still very good at power consumption.

Even 550W is a bit overkill

Edited by MadmanRB, 04 December 2017 - 11:08 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#11 ForgerPro

ForgerPro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2017 - 09:56 AM

Well I was trying to keep it in your original budget.

I would change nothing really though, except maybe the motherboard.

Do you desire full size motherboards or are micro sized mother boards fine?

Also unless you are going mutli GPU dont bother with 750W or above power supplies.

GPU's are very energy efficient nowadays and dont eat up much power.

Even a overclocked 1080ti is still very good at power consumption.

Even 550W is a bit overkill

What is the difference between micro sized and full sized mother boards? Whatever gives better performance I guess... 

#12 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,221 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2017 - 10:18 AM

In terms of performance there is no difference.

Its more terms of size, what case do you have?

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#13 ForgerPro

ForgerPro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2017 - 10:57 AM

In terms of performance there is no difference.

Its more terms of size, what case do you have?

I have this case. 

#14 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,221 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2017 - 11:06 AM

Cool standard ATX can work here, if you really want it.

But standard ATX is a little more money.

However something that is both cheap and has a good amount of memory slots and PCI express can be found with these motherboards:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157768

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813145018

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157762

All of these are good options, if you want to overclock it will be more money but you got some reasonably priced motherboards

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#15 ForgerPro

ForgerPro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2017 - 12:35 PM

Fantastic! Thank you very very much for the help! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users