Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error 0xc000000f at boot but still boots?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rictus

rictus

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 04 December 2017 - 08:27 AM

I get the following error on boot but when I hit enter it boots fine. I have a samsung 1 TB 850 EVO as the boot disk.

Although you can't see it in the picture in the white bar at the bottom it says hit enter to continue and something like esc to cancel I think.

Seeing as it boots fine I don't know how worried I should be. Is something going south on me?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:26 AM

Please do the following to rebuild BCD.

Press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png and the R key to open the Run box.

Type cmd in the Run box, press the following keys together to run the Command Prompt as an administrator.

Shift, Ctrl, Enter

When the Elevated Command Prompt opens copy and paste the three commands below one at a time, press Enter after each command.

Bootrec /fixmbr

Bootrec /fixboot

Bootrec /rebuildbcd

You should see the following.

Scanning all disks for Windows installations.

This may take a while, please do not stop the scan.

If this was successful you will receive the following message.

Successfully scanned Windows installations.
Total identified Windows installations: 0
The operation completed successfully.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 rictus

rictus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2017 - 02:23 PM

This is what I got. ?

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.15063]
© 2017 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>Bootrec /fixmbr
'Bootrec' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>Bootrec /fixboot

C:\WINDOWS\system32>Bootrec /rebuildbcd

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 04 December 2017 - 02:42 PM

Did you copy and paste the three commands in the Command Prompt and press the Enter key after each command?

I suggested that you copy and paste the commands because I see a lot of typos being entered by others typing in the commands and the spaces.

Example:  The following command is the first one Bootrec /fixmbr, you need to copy and paste this in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.  Do this with the other two commands.

Note:  In my first response I explained that this could take a while to run.  Did you allow it to finish?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 rictus

rictus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2017 - 03:27 PM

Yes it was all copy pasted, one at a time. I tried it multiple times and even rebooted and tried the commands again. The above in my last post is a copy and paste directly out of the command prompt. There was nothing to wait for because nothing happened.

This seems rather odd?

Another thing is that when I hit Shift + Ctrl + Enter it gives a regular command prompt, not an elevated one. I have to right click on in cmd.exe in the search box and click run as administrator from there. I am running as administrator though.

Edit: So looking online someone suggested running the commands by booting to the command promt. Which I did. And I got this, see attachment. All completed successfully but at the end it says windows installations found 0. haha, what?

Anyways I decided to check the boot order in the bios. The first one was set to windows boot loader which is set to my second disk for some reason. So I just set my windows disc to 1st and windows boot loader to second. Seems to have worked. But it isn't right. Weird that this just popped up out of nowhere too.

Edited by rictus, 04 December 2017 - 04:19 PM.

#6 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 583 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 04 December 2017 - 05:00 PM

Hi, just a comment as you appear to have solved the problem. If you use the run dialogue you cannot elevate a cmd prompt, you can if you use the new task run dialogue which gives an option to run any program with administrative permissions.

In win 10 if you type:- cmd into the search box then press shift+ ctrl+ enter an elevated cmd prompt will open. 

In normal mode the bootrec cmd is not available (only bcdedit is) you need to access the RE (recovery environment) if able to boot to your computer (as you were able) you can easily access the RE by pressing and holding the shift key while clicking on restart.  Win 10 also offers a fall back option to access the RE, if you start your computer and wait until windows starts to load then "hard" shutdown (press and hold the power button until the computer turns off) doing this more then twice windows detects a problem and boots to the RE.

Once in the RE, you need to access the command prompt. From this prompt you can successfully run the cmds, from DC3's post.

You should also be aware that in this mode windows OS will not always be allocated the drive letter C:, if you wish to access your windows OS it is necessary to find what drive letter the OS is on. I wrote this cmd to achieve this (back in vista beta days), must be used exactly as you see here:-

bcdedit | find "osdevice"  (the | is called a pipe and can be found above the \ key) it returns OS device.....partition X, where X is a drive letter, typically in 10 this will be D:

#7 rictus

rictus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2017 - 06:54 PM

Thanks for the help guys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users