Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Keeps Logging Off

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 joebeaven

joebeaven

• Members
  • 419 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 25 September 2006 - 02:17 PM

Hi,

I'm using Windows XP with SP2 and my computer keeps disconnecting from the Internet. I'm using a broadband connection with a wireless router. It disconnects whenever it can't find a site (such as if I click on a link in Google and the site no longer exists). This also happens with FeedDemon and other programs that use the Internet. It always disconnects when I go to certain websites, even though the site loads after I tell it to connect again. It also disconnects whenever the phone rings.

Does anyone know how I can fix this as it's getting very annoying, especially if I'm trying to download stuff?

Thanks,
Joe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 25 September 2006 - 03:01 PM

It also disconnects whenever the phone rings.

To help identify the problem: What kind of phone is causing the disconnects? Is it a land phone, a cell phone, a portable phone?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2006 - 06:38 PM

Is this a dialup connection or dsl?

If it is dialup put the numbers to disable call waiting in your dial properties.

#4 joebeaven

joebeaven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 419 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2006 - 01:42 PM

It's the landline that causes the Internet to disconnect.

I've got a wireless 'always on' ADSL 8meg broadband connection.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2006 - 03:13 PM

You are having a problem with the dsl -

If it disconnects you when the phone rings you need a filter installed in the dsl line. Call your service provider.

#6 joebeaven

joebeaven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 419 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2006 - 01:22 PM

We've already got DSL filters for all phones and computers. Is there anything else we can do?

#7 SNC-Zach

SNC-Zach

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2006 - 01:43 PM

Call your provider and ask if you're having Intermittent Sync issues. Also if you have a fax machine, unplug that. Also unplug anything else that uses a phone line, and plug in each one to see if you keep a solid sync light.

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2006 - 02:34 PM

If you have the filters there is still a problem on the dsl line - the phone ringing and causing a cutoff is not a problem in your computer, but with the dsl line itself. It is the dsl provider's responsibility to fix that.

You may find when that is repaired your other problem may go away, but try the following:
Clean all your internet temp files.
To do that with IE, click Tools, then Internet Options, then in the Temporary Internet Section in the General Tab click on delete files.

After you do that, click the settings box and put the dot in check for newer versions of the page automatically.

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 27 September 2006 - 02:53 PM

I remember another member had a similar problem. It turned out that the portable phone and wireless router were using the same frequency.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#10 joebeaven

joebeaven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 419 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2006 - 01:00 PM

I'll certainly ask my ISP about intermittent sync issues.

I've cleared my temporary Internet files, but Settings was already set to Automatically.

The Internet disconnected whenever the phone rang before I had the wireless router. It happened with the old USB one too, so I don't think that's it. The wireless router has changed things though. The Internet connection is generally a little more reliable, although it does disconnect quite a bit. Also, since we had the wireless router, we get a lot of interference on the phone line. I've had one engineer from my ISP (who also supply the phone) test the line and he couldn't find a problem with it, but I've reported it again because it's really bad.

Thanks,
Joe

#11 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2006 - 01:11 PM

The Internet disconnected whenever the phone rang before I had the wireless router.

That means The PROBLEM IS IN YOUR PHONE LINE AND NOT IN YOUR COMPUTER - at least the part about disconnecting when the phone rings, and possibly the entire problem because of interference and noise on your phone line and/or the dsl connection possibly being improperly connected by the installer in the first place.

I wouldn't "ask", but demand that they send someone who is qualified out to fix the problem!
The problem is definately on their end and is common with dsl, and the primary reason I have always chosen cable over dsl (not even considering cable can be much, much faster depending on how modern the cable system in your area is.)

Edited by Enthusiast, 28 September 2006 - 01:15 PM.

#12 joebeaven

joebeaven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 419 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2006 - 01:11 PM

Thanks Enthusiast, and everyone else who'se helped. I'll get onto them and make sure they send someone out.

Joe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users