Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

possible water damage

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 whitelighter37

whitelighter37

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 04 December 2017 - 07:33 AM

Hello

I hope I"m posting this in the correct subforum, but anyhow - 

a couple hours ago I accidentally spilled a drink on my HP laptop which runs Windows 7 and it almost instantly crashed. Not knowing anything about computers, and it's still a couple hours till the pc repair shop opens, I gently wiped off any visible liquid, then turned it upside down to let any additional liquid drain out from the (motherboard?) area - as I said, I know virtually nothing about this. Just a little while ago I tried almost without hope giving it one last shot, and amazingly, after struggling a bit, it turned on, and now seems to be functioning normally for the most part, except - now it won't shut down, only restart, when I tell it to shut down. I"ve tried going to Startup & Recovery and unchecking the Automatically Restart button, and going to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon and changing PowerDownAfterShutDown from 0 to 1, but the problem still persists. 

- Can someone suggest a way to fixt this
AND
- do you think I should still take the pc to the repair shop to have them look it over thoroughly even though for the most part it seems to be functioning now? They'll charge like $100 dollars to take it apart and look it it.

Thanks.

p.s. Obviously the moral is to be more careful, placing drinks away from the pc. I 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 04 December 2017 - 07:59 AM

I would remove the battery and give it more time to fully dry out.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 RecursiveNerd

RecursiveNerd

• Malware Study Hall Junior
  • 179 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 04 December 2017 - 08:39 AM

What kind of drink was it? Like mentioned above, removing the battery and giving it more time may fix your issue.

I've found taking apart the laptop and giving it a nice scrub with some isopropyl alcohol (90% or higher) and a soft bristle toothbrush to clean up any gunk that may have accumulated to take care of a lot of issues. My friend spilled a particular sugary alcoholic drink on her laptop and I was able to bring it back to life using this method.

#4 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 04 December 2017 - 01:11 PM

yes pull unit apart and a nice alcohol bath is great but make sure you scrub the area especially if the drink contained sugar at all.  sugar is a nightmare with electronics if not cleaned of completely.

milk, beer, soda are the worst!  water is an insulator, it's the minerals that are in the water that make it conduct electricity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users