Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What constitutes subforum-appropriate question?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 EddieMonsoon

EddieMonsoon

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 04 December 2017 - 05:18 AM

Yes, I've read the rules about posting, but am still puzzled.

I am not a frequent visitor to this or other computer fora, thus consider myself a 'newbie' still, so I could be missing some basic bit of wisdom.

So here is the quandary:  I posted a perfectly serious question about a situation I encounter in my computer use, and since my OS is Win 7, I felt this was the place to put it.  Having looked through the list of forum sections and subsections, it seemed to be the most appropriate.

When I checked back to see if there was an answer, I found that a moderator had moved my query to General chat, as "This is not a Windows 7 issue or situation".  General chat seems to be more - shall I say 'recreational' topics.  To quote from the synopsis: "this forum may be used to post topics of a general, non-help related nature."  (Also the Google Results link in the reply points me to Linux/Unix related pages, which I don't think are going to help me).

Grateful for any enlightenment.

Cheers.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 04 December 2017 - 11:19 AM

Different moderators will move things where it's not entirely clear what category it belongs in to different places.

You may have asked the question on the Windows 7 forum, but the question was about how to prevent certain scans from following symbolic links, which is in no way Windows 7 specific and, in fact, would probably be specific to the software you're using, which you did not specify.

For myself, I would not have moved this to "General Discussion" as it is a technical question but would probably have moved it to "All Other Applications."  That being said it definitely was not a Windows 7 specific question.   Lots of people ask questions about various software in the many Windows forums because that's what their running it under, but that isn't a Windows 'X' question, it's about the specific software they're asking about.  If it's clear exactly what that software is, the question will generally be moved to the forum appropriate for that software.

If you add a reply to your original query with the specific product(s) you're referring to then I'd be happy to move the thread to another forum where "the appropriate eyes" would most likely be on it.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 05 December 2017 - 12:06 AM

Eddie Monsoon post: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/664207/undesirable-side-effects-of-symlinks/

#4 EddieMonsoon

EddieMonsoon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 12 December 2017 - 08:16 PM

Thank you softeyes
Actually, I did specify the OS, by posting my query in the Windows 7 forum.  It got attention alright. But not the sort I was hoping for...

Thank you britechguy for the clarification.

Additional to the original question, I might be doing a search using the Command line, (I do a fair bit of ad-hoc file operations this way),or FreeCommander which I think makes use of Windows functionality for its searches (I mainly use vers 2009.02b, as it's the one I'm most familiar with), a Virus scan using Avira, or I might be searching via one of the many other applications depending on what it is I'm doing and what I need to find at the time. For example images, using IrfanView, audio files, using MP3Tag, and so forth.

Hope this fills in some gaps.

Cheers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users