Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

So Is This Barebone Any Good?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Temo

Temo

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 25 September 2006 - 02:02 PM

Anyways...

So I want to build a computer... I am a broke College student that doesn't have too much money... I got like $350 and maybe later on I will have more...

Anyways... I was thinking about this barebone

Asus Vintage
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16856110055
I think it has integraded graphics (hope it has pixel shader)

Processor - Athlon 64 Orleans 1.8Ghz
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16819103639

Ram - 240 Pin (cheap) 2 x 256
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820227014

Internal Harddrive - Sata 80GB 8mb catch (I am not sure if this is compatible with my motherboard..)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16822145127

So after all this... Is this worth $322.96
And ... I am not a big gamer, and my best game is Area 51 and Star Wars Commando which both need Pixel Shader which at this time I don't have...

Also... anything else I should look at..

Thanks for any help in advance

Edited by Temo, 25 September 2006 - 02:05 PM.

The biggest pain in this world is Debuging!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 26 September 2006 - 08:27 PM

Well it seems reasonable.
Needs OS eg XP Home + approx $90
Maybe a CD or at least a floppy drive
What type of internet do you have, will you need hardware
Do you have a monitor
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2006 - 06:44 AM

If gaming was a big consideration I would look for a bigger processor.

The motherboard looks good and will support 4 sata drives.

If you can afford it, more ram is always good. Make sure you buy the right ram. Memory Type Supported DDR2 667/800

Looks good.

Eventually you may want to upgrade the video, but the shared memory, onboard GeForce 6150 will do the job for now but remember it cuts into your system ram.

Make sure you get a good power supply. The ones that may come with cheap cases are iffy even if they say they have enough wattage, and the purported 300w stated in the ad is minimal anyway and gives little room for expansion should you want to upgrade the processor and/or the video at a later date.

And of course as boopme suggested, a dvd writer and a floppy (floppys are cheap).

Edited by Enthusiast, 27 September 2006 - 07:02 AM.

#4 Temo

Temo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2006 - 01:50 PM

WELL THANK YOU VERY MUCH...

Anyways... I got a Cd-burn and a dvd reader so I didn't care about those right now. The monitor is a big one. I got a deal to get one for like $10-15 dollars that is a crt and about 17inches. I got broadband and I already have a OS...

Also thanks for the advice on the processor... How does that processor compare to a Pentium 4 (Presco<SP?>) running at 3.06ghz.

Edited by Temo, 27 September 2006 - 01:52 PM.

The biggest pain in this world is Debuging!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users