Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't check updates (Error 80248015)

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 03 December 2017 - 06:14 PM

Info and temp fix here:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/windows-7-update-giving-a-80248015-error-heres-why-and-how-to-fix-it-/

------------

Applet says service not running restart computer!

Attached Files

Edited by Grinler, 04 December 2017 - 04:25 PM.
TO include link to article and fix

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 03 December 2017 - 06:34 PM

Hi,

Try the Windows Update Troubleshooter

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4027322/windows-update-troubleshooter

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,228 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2017 - 07:05 PM

Gave it a shot!

Also ran sfc /scannow  N/G

Result:

Attached Files

Edited by OldPhil, 03 December 2017 - 07:27 PM.

#4 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 03 December 2017 - 10:20 PM

Is the "Windows  Update"  - Service actually running ?

If So you could set as Manual and Start Service , and try the Update again from  the Control Panel / Applet.

Or use the Windows Update Reset Tool.

Some Methods Here:

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/91738-windows-update-reset.html

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,228 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2017 - 07:57 AM

This all started last night on my tower!  This morning I fired up my laptop which I am now typing on.  The same exact thing happens on it! 

I have been "manually" checking for updates for quite awhile, I do the usual, hit control panel, System and Security then check for updates.  Both important and optional show which when checked loads normal updates and optional MSE updates. 

MSE will still up date but only manually on both machines, I am willing to bet this was caused by an MS update and is not a system issue.  I believe this will be showing up on other machines.    

#6 wdrbbq

wdrbbq

• Members
  • 320 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2017 - 08:49 AM

Same problem. I have an HP laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium. When I go to Windows Update the message says it can't check for updates because the service has been turned off. It says to restart but after several restarts: same problem. It also says that it checked and installed updates at 2:43 am yesterday, 12/3/17.

Any ideas would be helpful.  

Thanks in advance. 

#7 wdrbbq

wdrbbq

• Members
  • 320 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2017 - 08:52 AM

Additionally, I noticed that you mentioned that you've updated manually. I can't even do that. Initially it said to check for updates. When I did that, it started with the message about not being able to check because the service has been turned off. 

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,228 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2017 - 10:15 AM

I think this is the tip of the ice berg!  If it only happened on my tower and not also on my laptop I would be looking in a different direction.  Now you and I am very sure many others will turn up.  My last updates were two days prior to the problem showing up, lets hope MS comes up with s fix soon.

Phil

#9 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,124 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2017 - 10:23 AM

Hi,

Same problem. I have an HP laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium. When I go to Windows Update the message says it can't check for updates because the service has been turned off. It says to restart but after several restarts: same problem. It also says that it checked and installed updates at 2:43 am yesterday, 12/3/17.

Any ideas would be helpful.  

Thanks in advance. 

Can you post a list of the last updates installed?

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#10 wdrbbq

wdrbbq

• Members
  • 320 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2017 - 10:30 AM

I agree. I have Windows set to download updates automatically but notify me so I can decide when and if to install. Sometimes there's an optional Micro Essentials update available for which I won't be notified so I've gotten in the habit of checking manually every morning. What was different this morning is that instead of clicking on Windows Update and having it tell me that either there are no updates available or an optional update is available, it showed the screen that includes the button to click on and check for updates. That's when the error messages started. I guess we'll just have to wait for Windows to recognize and fix the problem. Thanks. 

#11 wdrbbq

wdrbbq

• Members
  • 320 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2017 - 10:41 AM

Earlier today I could have because, when the Check for Updates screen first came up it showed that last updates were installed yesterday as I stated above. When I clicked on the Check for Updates button, the prior update info no longer appeared. I should have checked exactly what updates were installed but didn't. Now when I go to Windows Update I just get a blank white screen and the infinite hourglass. I had to get into the task manager and shut down Windows Update so I could type this response. So the bottom line is that when I first noticed the problem I could have and should have but didn't and now I can't unless you could tell me another way to find out what updates were installed last. Sorry but thanks anyway. 

#12 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,228 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2017 - 10:52 AM

Just did the same thing, only show a security update for MS office 2007.

#13 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,124 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2017 - 10:56 AM

Earlier today I could have because, when the Check for Updates screen first came up it showed that last updates were installed yesterday as I stated above. When I clicked on the Check for Updates button, the prior update info no longer appeared... tell me another way to find out what updates were installed last. Sorry but thanks anyway. 

When you are on the Windows Update Screen there is one option on the left side "View update History" this will show the list of installed updates and the date.

___
Rui

#14 wdrbbq

wdrbbq

• Members
  • 320 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2017 - 10:58 AM

I think a lot of devices are affected. I only found out because I routinely manually check for updates every morning. Had I not done that, I would still be unaware of the problem. There were no notifications prior to that. It would be interesting to have people check updates manually and report their findings. I think we'll just have to wait for Windows to solve the problem. Misery loves company. I felt better as soon as found I was not alone. Thanks. 

#15 wdrbbq

wdrbbq

• Members
  • 320 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2017 - 11:03 AM

No, all I had was a completely white blank screen with absolutely nothing on it. I know the screen to which you are referring very well. I just can't get there. I could get the info prior to clicking on Check for Updates but since clicking on that It shows the hourglass and locks up my laptop until I either force a restart or access Task Manager and stop Windows Update. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users