Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux Journal Ceases Publication

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 03 December 2017 - 04:23 PM

EOF

It looks like we’re at the end, folks. If all goes according to a plan we’d rather not have, the November issue of Linux Journal was our last.

The simple fact is that we’ve run out of money, and options along with it. We never had a wealthy corporate parent or deep pockets of our own, and that made us an anomaly among publishers, from start to finish. While we got to be good at flying close to the ground for a long time, we lost what little elevation we had in November, when the scale finally tipped irrevocably to the negative.

While we see a future like publishing’s past—a time when advertisers sponsor a publication because they value its brand and readers—the advertising world we have today would rather chase eyeballs, preferably by planting tracking beacons in readers' browsers and zapping them with ads anywhere those readers show up. But that future isn’t here, and the past is long gone.

There is some hope, we suppose, that a savior might come through; but it will have to be one willing to pick up some of our debt, in addition to our brand, our archive, our domains and our subscribers and readers. If you know anyone who can make a serious offer, let us know. Otherwise, watch LinuxJournal.com and hope that at least our legacy archives (which go back to Linux Journal’s birth in April 1994, when Linux hit 1.0) won’t go away. There’s a lot of great stuff here, and a lot of history we’d hate the world to lose.

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/linux-journal-ceases-publication

Sad to see them go

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 03 December 2017 - 05:13 PM

the advertising world we have today would rather chase eyeballs, preferably by planting tracking beacons in readers' browsers and zapping them with ads anywhere those readers show up

Sad but all too true.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 03 December 2017 - 05:18 PM

Yes, it's sad.

Current and back issues available here.

http://www.missoulapubliclibrary.org/index.php/resources/online-resources/317-linux

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• Topic Starter

• 13,385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 03 December 2017 - 07:58 PM

Thanks for the link John.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,293 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2017 - 08:23 AM

Your Welcome Nick. Hope the page stays up for anybody interested.

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,992 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2017 - 05:55 PM

They were definitely a big help to me also!  Will be missed

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,293 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2018 - 10:09 PM

Linux Journal 2! 

Jan 01, 2018  By Carlie Fairchild

Talk about a Happy New Year. The reason: it turns out we're not dead. In fact, we're more alive than ever, thanks to a rescue by readers—specifically, by the hackers who run Private Internet Access (PIA) VPN, a London Trust Media company. PIA are avid supporters of freenode and the larger FOSS community. They’re also all about Linux and the rest of the modern portfolio of allied concerns: privacy, crypto, freedom, personal agency, rewriting the rules of business and government around all of those, and having fun with constructive hacking of all kinds. We couldn’t have asked for a better rescue ship to come along for us.

In addition, they aren't merely rescuing this ship we were ready to scuttle; they're making it seaworthy again and are committed to making it bigger and better than we were ever in a position to think about during our entirely self-funded past.

This is exactly what we had hoped for in recent years, but hardly expected. Really and truly, I waited to put up our farewell post until all hope was lost. But hey, it turns out you don't have to believe in miracles to experience one, because that's exactly what happened here.

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/happy-new-year-linux-journal-alive

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 January 2018 - 10:11 PM.

#8 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,161 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2018 - 10:18 PM

Linux Journal 2! 

Son of the secret wrath of Electric Ultron! In 3d!

This time its personal!

Edited by MadmanRB, 27 January 2018 - 10:20 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,992 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2018 - 09:16 AM

Thanks John!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#10 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,410 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 30 January 2018 - 01:41 PM

Perhaps of interest and use to some.

https://archive.org/search.php?query=Linux%20Journal

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#11 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2018 - 06:18 AM

Good to hear the publication survived! :)

Yet as one of the commentators stated:

I was a subscriber but, my God, your format and content got so dry and dreary. I found I was spending about 5 minutes per issue. I'm glad to see you've survived and would consider subscribing again once I see where you're headed.

And the comment to that:

Addressing the “dry and dreary” problem: I agree. But mostly because I’d start reading an article without realizing I wasn’t the intended reader for that particular article until I’d already read a quarter..

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/happy-new-year-linux-journal-alive

This is the showing of an organization in need of a shake up or wake up call. Maybe a bit of house cleaning. Editors has to make their content attractive, interesting, sometimes entertaining & it's subscribers must know when reading an article within a publication that it's geared towards them from the go. Otherwise will sink again, it's hard to continue a fight once knocked down w/out making huge changes. When in a fight to stay alive, there can be no loyalty towards those who refuses to change, or afraid of it. The same applies to any business in the free World. 

Back in 2008-09 when there were bad need for Linux articles, there were few (if any) to be found locally, were targeted towards the wrong clientele or in the wrong outlets (local magazine carriers). I know, looked in the local library and bookstores for any Linux books/publications and there were none. Now these are all over the Internet for free, mainly articles that provides 'how-to's' on much everything. Including content of many dedicated Linux forums & communities, this one also, thousands of tips for Linux users. :)

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/406036/cheesemakers-linux-corner/

Luckily, Linux Journal survived this round, yet if they don't change their ways and/or or targeted audience, will be in the same position as in late 2017. Have to change with the times, and must target towards the ones who can benefit the most from the publication. :)

As a whole, the newspaper/magazine industry has been crumbling for over a decade, many (former) popular publications has already fallen, w/out anyone to give a helping hand. Kudos to Private Internet Access for their bailout of Linux Journal. Yet to stay alive, changes has to be made to stay afloat in a very competitive market that's also competing with no cost content via the Internet. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users