Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux user - Searching for laptop

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 MikeJohnson

MikeJohnson

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 03 December 2017 - 03:23 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm a Linux user and currently I use Linux on my Dell latitude laptop. It's quite old so I am looking for a new laptop with all the newest hardware.

I haven't purchased a laptop since long time so don't know anything about latest processors and stuff. I can buy a Windows PC and install Linux on it but I want help in finding the laptop with right set of hardware that supports Linux. My budget is $800.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 03 December 2017 - 03:38 PM

For Linux specific questions I think it would be okay to post in the Linux Section, you will get the specific exposure you need.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/11/linux-unix/

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#3 Harry121

Harry121

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2017 - 03:43 PM

The thing with linux is it will install on most systems no problem but getting all the drivers working and the programmes you use is another story but if you been at Linux a while and know the routine you go threw tto troubleshoot you will be fine as most well known programs support Linux but will go now and get you one that will fully support Linux  out of box.

Just few things, what are teh main things you use? programmes and games wise? and what have you been abe to get working in past? just trying to see what you would be able to do manual if it does not work right away. and for £800 you will be getting something nice.

Will post back soon  with some recommendations and find out what my old team are using now .

The thing with linux is it will install on most systems no problem but getting all the drivers working and the programmes you use is another story but if you been at Linux a while and know the routine you go threw tto troubleshoot you will be fine as most well known programs support Linux but will go now and get you one that will fully support Linux  out of box.

Just few things, what are teh main things you use? programmes and games wise? and what have you been abe to get working in past? just trying to see what you would be able to do manual if it does not work right away. and for £800 you will be getting something nice.

Will post back soon  with some recommendations and find out what my old team are using now .

#4 Harry121

Harry121

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2017 - 04:26 PM

One of the guys on my old team uses this 

https://www.gearbest.com/laptops/pp_600328.html?currency=GBP&vip=760164&gclid=CjwKCAiA3o7RBRBfEiwAZMtSCVEVqiYCydbq0_RESt6yNqOKcZsF77rNYGWxUg5BFKHRTiMYZVexOBoCIPUQAvD_BwE

and swears by it but he may have had some help with it but saying that it 100% worked without any headache. Will ask the guys if they helped him and what they recommend. I ran few distro from i7 and i5 with not much hassle but not done any Linux in over a year now but doubt much has changed also just to say. I used mint for most part.

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,218 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2017 - 04:34 PM

Just go for another dell, dell has a great track record with linux

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,090 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2017 - 05:20 PM

Dell and Intel! to simplify all of it.

@Harry121, it's almost always better to buy with Windows Installed to get that license, and then Re-Install or Dual Boot with Windows.

Edited by pcpunk, 03 December 2017 - 05:23 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#7 Harry121

Harry121

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2017 - 06:00 PM

Dell and Intel! to simplify all of it.

@Harry121, it's almost always better to buy with Windows Installed to get that license, and then Re-Install or Dual Boot with Windows.

yes its how I would go about iit as when i was into Linux was not many that came with Linux and always liked to be able to put windows back on it if need be. Have never been a fan of dual boots but that is just me stuck in my ways. I only got as far as installing steam and getting a few steam games to work and wow and told myself I was good at Linux. Friends are into messing with GPU firmware and tweaking everything and anything just as they could have rep as being good at Linux as they never game or do anything other than the next new thing. I tried to keep doing a few new things but in end I just wanted to play wow and it  had to keep being changed to keep up with updates and friends could never had the time to keep doing it for me and the add ons just kept stop work and as I say in end I wanted to game so went windows 10 and got into powershell for some low level copy from google past it in tweaking.

#8 MikeJohnson

MikeJohnson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2017 - 01:05 AM

For Linux specific questions I think it would be okay to post in the Linux Section, you will get the specific exposure you need.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/11/linux-unix/

Thanks for letting me know about the Linux Section. I will ask my question there :) 

#9 MikeJohnson

MikeJohnson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2017 - 01:07 AM

I can manage all driver things but problem to me is, I haven't been keeping up with all the recent hardware changes in computers so don't know about new CPUs and GPUs that work with Linux. So, if someone here is using Linux on recently purchased machine then I would love to know about their experience with it.

#10 MikeJohnson

MikeJohnson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2017 - 01:09 AM

One of the guys on my old team uses this 

https://www.gearbest.com/laptops/pp_600328.html?currency=GBP&vip=760164&gclid=CjwKCAiA3o7RBRBfEiwAZMtSCVEVqiYCydbq0_RESt6yNqOKcZsF77rNYGWxUg5BFKHRTiMYZVexOBoCIPUQAvD_BwE

and swears by it but he may have had some help with it but saying that it 100% worked without any headache. Will ask the guys if they helped him and what they recommend. I ran few distro from i7 and i5 with not much hassle but not done any Linux in over a year now but doubt much has changed also just to say. I used mint for most part.

Sorry but would prefer something from a reliable brand. And, I had a very bad experience with the guys at gearbest at the time of my first (which was also the last) purchase from them.

Edited by MikeJohnson, 04 December 2017 - 01:10 AM.

#11 MikeJohnson

MikeJohnson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2017 - 01:16 AM

That sounds good. I am still loving my old Latitude. I will have a look at recently launched Dell models. 

Edited by MikeJohnson, 04 December 2017 - 01:16 AM.

#12 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 04 December 2017 - 01:51 AM

Hi

You have gotten some great advice in this thread and I see you also started a post in the Linux section. https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/664434/buying-a-new-laptop-for-linux-suggestions/

Thanks for letting me know about the Linux Section. I will ask my question there

As the OP is asking for help in the Linux section I am closing this thread to avoid confusion.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/664434/buying-a-new-laptop-for-linux-suggestions/

Edited by NickAu, 04 December 2017 - 01:53 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users