Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start Menu and Taskbar not opening

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 brandondiaz

brandondiaz

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2017 - 12:43 PM

So I had windows 10 and it worked perfectly fine and then i updated to the Fall Creator Update and didnt like it. So i went back to old windows and when it was all finished my keyboard didnt open or cortona. Ive tried searching for a solution but couldnt find anything. Please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jitterbugbleeping

jitterbugbleeping

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 03 December 2017 - 01:07 PM

Tel! Got same problem-cant help yet-not able To get on cp at all!

#3 brandondiaz

brandondiaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2017 - 01:12 PM

I can signin and all but i cant open start menu or settings and whenever i shutdown or restart it turns black.

#4 brandondiaz

brandondiaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2017 - 02:34 PM

*bump* pls help if you know solution

#5 Ashani2

Ashani2

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 11 December 2017 - 01:44 AM

I had this same problem (not being able to open start menu).  I would also sometimes get a pop up window when shutting down, saying, 'Task Host Window Microsoft\windows\plug and play\device install reboot required'.  I think these 2 problems went together.  I found 2 solutions at Microsoft and have not had any problems since.  The first solution is the easiest and least intrusive, but both are easy to do.  Also, a couple of people wrote that they had solved it by installing the latest audio and/or ethernet drivers.

Solution 1: "Apparently Microsoft added a new option in the Accounts section in 1703 (Settings -> Accounts -> Sign-In Options) called "Use my sign-in info to automatically finish setting up my device after an update or restart.". The dutch website says the option doesn't really work and to turn this option off and it should fix the task bar/start menu issue. I am testing this on my desktop at the moment, shutting off/restarting my Desktop, and haven't ran into the task bar/start menu issue yet."

Solution 2:  1- Right click on start menu and click on Run. "For those who the start menu does not respond with right click, right click on taskbar - click on Task Manager - from File menu on the left upper corner select Run new task".

2-Write the command regedit and click Enter.

3- Go to path [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WpnUserService].

4-Double click on Start from the right side.

5-Change the value data to then OK.

6-Reboot.

I hope this helps.

Edited by Ashani2, 11 December 2017 - 01:48 AM.

#6 brandondiaz

brandondiaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2017 - 04:10 PM

so i tried the second solution and it didnt work and for the first solution it doesnt let me open settings

#7 Ashani2

Ashani2

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2017 - 04:22 PM

I'm actually surprised that the 2nd solution didn't work only because it's worked for so many people. Sorry it didn't help you.

You can try opening settings by pressing your windows key and i at the same time.   This article has other ways to open settings: https://www.digitalcitizen.life/introducing-windows-10-ways-open-settings

Also, from what I read, some people were able to get the start problem fixed by updating the latest audio, video, and ethernet drivers.  One guy uninstalled and reinstalled his printer, and said that helped him.

Really hope this helps.

Edited by Ashani2, 11 December 2017 - 04:23 PM.

#8 brandondiaz

brandondiaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2017 - 04:23 PM

Maybe I did something wrong. By reboot you mean restart right?

#9 Ashani2

Ashani2

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2017 - 04:24 PM

Yes. reboot is restart.  Did you try windows+i to open settings?

#10 brandondiaz

brandondiaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2017 - 04:26 PM

Yes and it doesnt open.

#11 Ashani2

Ashani2

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2017 - 04:43 PM

Did you try any of the other suggestions in the article on getting your start menu to open?

The other solution I've seen mentioned a lot is this:

Create a new user
Sometimes you can fix this problem simply by creating a new user account. This is relatively simple and you can do it by following these steps:

Open Control Panel.
Select User Accounts from the list.
Left click or tap on the option that says Manage another account.
Now left click or tap on the Add new User in PC settings.
After you created a new user account restart your computer. 
Log in with the new user account you created and check to see if you still have the same issue.

#12 brandondiaz

brandondiaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2017 - 04:45 PM

No I havent im new here. Ive just searched youtube and the internet so much and tried different solutions and nothing seemer to work and yes creating a new user worked for me but it was too much to transfer and stuff.

#13 Ashani2

Ashani2

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2017 - 05:01 PM

I know it's incredibly frustrating trying to find answers and trying so many solutions for something that shouldn't be a problem in the first place.  If making another user account worked for you, as an administrator account you'll be able access everything on your computer.   

To move your files to your new account, go to MY PC  or  Windows Explorer  to navigate to C:\Users  to the account you want to COPY - Right Click on the Folders (and/or files) and COPY - go to the other account and PASTE where you want to put them. Repeat as needed. Do not delete the folders and files from the account they are in until you are sure they are duplicated where you need them.   Also don't move program files.  Just your documents and pictures, etc.

I don't know of any other options aside from what I've posted above, except to reset your computer, saving your documents and pictures, but otherwise setting your computer back to how it was when you first got it.  You do have to reinstall all your extra programs as it won't save those.

Perhaps someone else has other answers for you.

Edited by Ashani2, 11 December 2017 - 05:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users