Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Transfering hard drive (including OS) from one PC to another ?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 natinusala

natinusala

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 03 December 2017 - 11:09 AM

Hello,

I have a computer with an i5 3570K and a GTX 660 OC. I have another computer with a i5 4590 and a GTX 960. I would like to switch from one computer to another, without reinstalling everything and transferring all of my data.

My question is : would it be possible to just take the hard drive of the old computer (Win10) and put it in the new one ? Would it work, and detect the new hardware and install the appropriate drivers ? Or is it a bad idea ?

Thanks for your help !

Edited by hamluis, 03 December 2017 - 11:15 AM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 03 December 2017 - 12:12 PM

Windows 10 makes a note of all your hardware IDs including the motherboard when activated and this information is sent to Microsoft servers. If the MB on the computer Windows 10 is being transferred to is different then Windows 10 would detect the change and the license would no longer be valid. Windows would show the computer as not activated.

#3 natinusala

natinusala
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2017 - 12:17 PM

I still have the licence tho, it's an EDU licence and I can activate as many computer as I want with it (until I have my degree)

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,851 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 03 December 2017 - 12:27 PM

If you have the install disk, you can move the hard drive to another machine and boot to the disk and do a REPAIR.  This will let the OS characterize the new hardware and install appropriatye drivers as needed.  But you need the install disk, without that disk, you can't move the drive to another machine.

#5 natinusala

natinusala
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2017 - 12:34 PM

I don't have the install disk but I can make it using the ISO they gave me with the licence. But last time I tried this, the ISO was not up-to-date with the latest build of Windows, and it was not able to repair the system.

What would prevent me to just move the hard drive and reinstall all the drivers, and then activate it back ?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2017 - 12:43 PM

You can get the latest Education Edition of Windows 10 using the Windows iso downloader. Make sure you select no when asked to share resources. Your AV may flag it but it's a false positive.

https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-and-office-iso-download-tool

What would prevent me to just move the hard drive and reinstall all the drivers, and then activate it back ?

If you have the education license I believe this would work. It may Blue Screen on boot in which case you would need to do the repair as previously posted.

Edited by JohnC_21, 03 December 2017 - 12:50 PM.

#7 natinusala

natinusala
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2017 - 12:46 PM

Okay, I might try then, and if it doesn't work I'll do a repair. Is there any risk for the system ? If just moving the drive breaks my Windows installation I might just do the repair first

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2017 - 12:53 PM

If you have imaging software like Macrium, not the free version, it allows a restore to dissimilar hardware where the drivers are installed during the image restore. You would create the image to a USB enternal drive then boot the Macrium disk to redeploy the image to the target computer.

https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW/Re-deploying+Windows+to+new+hardware+using+Macrium+ReDeploy

#9 natinusala

natinusala
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2017 - 06:35 PM

I'll try to just move the hard drive, and if it doesn't work I'll do a system repair. Thanks for the help !

#10 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,851 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 03 December 2017 - 11:05 PM

If that doesn't work out, you can always install WINX on the new drive and add the old drive as a secondary or slave drive, all the programs and files will remain although there may be some glitches in programs that were installed on the older hardware and don't run quite right on the new one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users