Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which Anti-virus I Should Use ?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mohannad Hakmeh

Mohannad Hakmeh

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 25 September 2006 - 12:07 PM

Hello Everyone

i am a beginner in this stuff i mean computer and viruses

i bought a new labtop and one of my friends give programs CD which include a lot of useful programs and it is including several anti-virus(s) and here they are

1. BitDefender Plus 9.0
2. F-Secure Antivirus v6.1
3. Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal v6.0
4. NOD32
5. Norton Antivirus 2006

which one should i use ? and if you better one please can you tell me about it

note : McAfee 9 came with the labtop but it uselessbecause i cannot update it or even delete the infected files

another note : my computer now is infected and i tried to fix the problem with Windows Defender but it did not work and i think my comuter is infected with spyware because there is balloon show up on task bar say that

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,616 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 25 September 2006 - 12:34 PM

Below is a list of free programs.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

Also, recommend you post a Hijack This Log using the directions in the link below:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,522 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 26 September 2006 - 12:35 PM

i bought a new labtop and one of my friends give programs CD which include a lot of useful programs and it is including several anti-virus(s) and here they are

1. BitDefender Plus 9.0
2. F-Secure Antivirus v6.1
3. Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal v6.0
4. NOD32
5. Norton Antivirus 2006

which one should i use ? and if you better one please can you tell me about it

Short answer is don't use any of the programs that are on your friends CD. You won't have a legal license to run them if they will run at all. That is what is known as software piracy and against the Forum Rules so no one will give you advice to help you with that. Besides, if you can't afford a commercial one, why steal a security program when you can get good ones that are free for personal use? See buddy's link for alternatives to commercial apps--not only for security. And if you can afford it, pay for it to insure it works properly.

Also, the reason your McAfee is not working is probably because of the infection(s) you have. Malware now if very effective at disarming security programs. Maybe McAfee should have caught it in the first place, but I would hesitate to blame them for being no good. No AV is going to catch everything, new malware is coming out daily for which there are no definitions and AV's will do you no good if not properly configured and kept updated.

So you need to get your system cleaned up ASAP and get it secured to prevent infections as much as is possible. Clicking on buddy's second link is the best way to get started on that process.

The fate of all mankind, I see

Is in the hands of fools

--King Crimson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users