Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Webcam Light On When Not in Use

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 arnehgail

arnehgail

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 03 December 2017 - 05:27 AM

Recently my webcam light has been coming on when not in use. I also can't use my webcam in other apps because I'm told it's already being used. Could this be a virus or just some tech issues??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 03 December 2017 - 06:12 AM

Welcome to BC...

I suggest you cover the webcam lens with a piece of tape if this is a camera built into a laptop or monitor until that is resolved.

It could be malware. It could be some driver problem.

Please post what scans you have run to find malware.

Please post the report from Speccy. Speccy - Portable

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 arnehgail

arnehgail
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2017 - 06:59 AM

Thanks for the welcome!

I'm not quite sure what you're asking me to do?

I've scanned my computer using anti-virus software (BitDefender and built-in Windows Defender) and nothing has come up with that.

If you would just like the information Speccy has found here you go. Sorry if this isn't what you're looking for!

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit

CPU
Intel Core i7 7700HQ @ 2.80GHz 57 °C
Kaby Lake 14nm Technology

RAM
16.0GB Single-Channel Unknown @ 1197MHz (17-17-17-39)

Motherboard
Dell Inc. 065C71 (U3E1)

Graphics
Generic PnP Monitor (1920x1080@60Hz)
Intel HD Graphics 630 (Dell)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti (Dell) 44 °C
ForceWare version: 384.77
SLI Disabled

Storage
238GB SanDisk X400 M.2 2280 256GB (SSD) 30 °C
931GB Western Digital WDC WD10JPVX-75JC3T0 (SATA) 28 °C

Optical Drives
No optical disk drives detected

Audio
Realtek Audio

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 03 December 2017 - 09:27 AM

I expected much more info from the Speccy scan.

Check in Device Manager for any warnings...especially the camera.

How to Open Device Manager (Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista, XP)

How to update drivers: (do not use a program that claims to update all drivers...best to go to manufacturer website or Dell's website for updates to

factory installed hardware. )

How to Update Drivers (Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista, XP)

Scan the computer using Malwarebytes and let me know what was found...malware and adware.

Download and install the free version of Malwarebytes

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 dhagerjohns

dhagerjohns

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2017 - 10:13 AM

Recently my webcam light has been coming on when not in use. I also can't use my webcam in other apps because I'm told it's already being used. Could this be a virus or just some tech issues??

Before you start freaking out thinking someone far away is using your camera, I suggest opening device manager, and uninstalling the camera, then rebooting.  See how it works then.  My camera light is also on, but I can still use it.

screenshot_20.png

#6 arnehgail

arnehgail
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2017 - 02:31 AM

I expected much more info from the Speccy scan.

Check in Device Manager for any warnings...especially the camera.

How to Open Device Manager (Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista, XP)

How to update drivers: (do not use a program that claims to update all drivers...best to go to manufacturer website or Dell's website for updates to

factory installed hardware. )

How to Update Drivers (Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista, XP)

Scan the computer using Malwarebytes and let me know what was found...malware and adware.

Download and install the free version of Malwarebytes

No warnings in the device manager, and updating/reinstalling drivers didn't do anything either. Malwarebytes scan comes up with nothing as well. However, now rather than saying my camera is being used by another app, the webcam is black and shows no image.

Edited by arnehgail, 04 December 2017 - 02:32 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users