Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Could Winsock Be My Problem

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ejames82

ejames82

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 25 September 2006 - 12:03 PM

i get a lot of "this page cannot be displayed" messages and i have a list of possible causes. i wish to check the winsock and i am hoping to get guidance by someone who is knowledgeable. from my research i should do this: command prompt type in Netsh winsock reset then reinstall TCP/IP
is this the correct course of action? thanks, Ed James

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tingham

tingham

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 25 September 2006 - 01:18 PM

Although you indicate you're using XP Pro, is there a chance that you've upgraded your internet browser to the IE7.0 Beta? If so, it's extremely possible that the 'net pages you're trying to visit aren't IE7 compatible yet. That's why I unloaded it a few days after I started beta testing it. I don't have a seperate testing machine and I got tired of the 'this page can't be displayed' messages. OR, you could have a webpage hijacker on board or some nasty spyware trying to trash your system. Do you have any antispyware software that you can use to scan your system?

Not sure I'd mess with winsock. But a question to ask yourself would be this: Are you on dialup or dsl/cable? If you're NOT on dialup, it's doubtful that winsock is the issue. Winsock is hardly ever an issue with dsl/cable and XP Pro.

The other thing I'd suggest would be to go to www.trendmicro.com and run a FREE scan of your system. It not only will detect and delete viruses, it also will do the same for spyware and malware.

Finally, you might try a repair your system as long as you have your original XP Pro install cd. You can boot from the cd and when the install process gets to your choices, choose R to repair. BUT, MAKE SURE YOU BACK UP ALL YOU PERSONAL FILES BEFORE YOU DO THIS! If all you have is a manufacturer's Recovery cd, I'm not sure I'd try this. If your system is still under warranty, call the manufacturer for assistance with this issue.

#3 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 25 September 2006 - 01:34 PM

HI Ed. Welcome to BleepingComputer

I have been using IE 7 for quite some time now and have had no page cannot be displayed with it. Although it is possible is suppose.

I would like to have the infection side taken a good look at and you are at the right board for that. We have one of the best HijackThis teams here at BC. Please to follow the next instructions and you will be on your way to being cured.

I suggest you post a HijackThis log for examination.
A member of the HijackThis Team will walk you through, step by step, how to disinfect your computer.
Once you post your log, don't make any changes to your system, as that could change the results of the posted log, making it difficult to properly clean your system.

Read Preparation Guide for use before posting a HijackThis Log.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

Please read, and follow, all directions carefully!!!

Then, run a log, and post it in the HijackThis forum, at this link below.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/ Do not, fix anything, yet.
A member, of the HJT Team, will help you out.
It may take a while to get a response, because the HJT Team are very busy. Please, be patient, as these people are volunteers. They will help you out, as soon as possible.

NOTE:

Once you have made the post, please, DO NOT make another post in the HJT forum, until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. The first thing they look for, when looking for logs to reply to, is 0 replies. If you make another post, there will be 1 reply. The team member, glancing over the replies, might assume someone is already helping you out, and will not respond. So, just make your post, and let it sit there, until a team member responds. This way you will be taken care of, in the most timely manner.

#4 ejames82

ejames82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2006 - 05:53 PM

to tingham:
i need to respectfully disagree with you in that you say i indicate that i use xp pro. i use xp home. i should have said that. my fault. as far as microsoft updates are concerned, i don't know which version i am using. i just update every 3 or 4 days and don't pay it any mind. i have the automatic settings enabled so that i am reminded when i need to update, and i never put it off.
i run numerous anti-spyware and anti-virus programs and my residential programs are kaspersky, spy sweeper, and zone alarm. i have used housecall and they found nothing.
the messages occur on every website, and are particularly prevalent when i post a reply. they were present from day one when i connected to road runner 2 months ago. also, i purchased this computer from my neighbor and there was spyware on the first scan. he told me that he never connected it to the web. oh, by the way, you probably know that road runner is cable.
it came with no cd, but i did purchase a windows cd, but i am not sure that i want to use it. i am afraid that i will be stuck using microsoft firewall.

to thor:
i already have hijackthis downloaded and i actually scanned with it, but i have never posted it on a forum. i don't know how, and i am about as computer unsavvy as it gets. for someone to help me thru this, they are gonna have their hands full. i think i can recall having a problem renaming it and then attaching it. i will read the links and see how far i can get. i have seen this done on techspot numerous times. it's an amazing process. if i can get hijackthis posted, everything else will be a breeze. i definitely know that it can't hurt. so you also think that winsock is not my problem?

thanks for the replies, and others are welcome. Ed James

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2006 - 06:18 PM

Try clearing your Temp internet files.

If you are using IE click "Tools" then Internet Options and then in the Temporary Internet Files section press the button for "Delete Files".

Did you change any of the security settings, the scripting settings or the Active X settings?

I wouldn't mess with the Winsock just yet.

The best thing to do is make sure you have the latest version of Hijack This, v1.99.1 and post a Hijack This log in our Hijack This Logs And Analysis forum.

Run both Adaware and Spybot Search and Destroy from safe mode, updating each program’s malware definitions before you scan and allowing both to fix what they find.

If you do not already have these freeware aps installed on your computer, you can get them at the following sites:

*AdAware SE: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download506.html

*Spybot S&D: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

Following that that I suggest you post a “HijackThis” log for expert assistance with your malware infection.

Read the pinned post in our “HijackThis” forum,
here
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
Carefully read and follow all directions explicitly.

Following instructions create a HJT log, and POST THE HJT LOG YOU CREATED IN OUR HJT FORUM – not in this forum,
at this link.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/posthjtlog.html
Include the specs for your computer (ie, processor, amount of RAM, brand or motherboard, etc, and briefly describe the problem you are experiencing.)

Unless you are expert at editing the registry, Do not use the Hijack This program to try to fix anything by yourself as even what may seem to be a small mistake can render your operating system inoperable.
Some files when in the correct folder for them may be fine while in another may be malware hiding.

A member of our expert HJT Team will analyze your log, make recommendations and offer assistance, walking you through the complete repair process.

It may take a period of time to get a response to the log you posted because the members of our HJT Team are kept very busy.
Please be patient as this team is manned by volunteers. They will help you in order received as soon as possible.

NOTE
Once you have posted your HJT log, please DO NOT make any additional posts in the HJT forum thread you created until you get a response from a member of our HJT expert team, and do not make any changes to your system (changes, including any attempted repairs, will make your computer to be different than displayed in the log you posted and therefore make your log inaccurate).

The first criteria the HJT Team has when looking for logs that need replies are posts showing 0 replies. If you make an additional post, it will show as having had 1 reply.
A team member, looking for a new log that requires help might well assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and might not open the thread to respond.

So, post your HJT Log in our HJT Forum (not here in this forum) and wait for a response from a HJT team member.

After you post your log, please do not make any changes to your computer. Discontinue trying to delete anything with any program as changes will make your HJT log obsolete and waste valuable time spent by our HJT experts analyzing the log made innacurate by changes and therefore their plan formulated to address the problems will also be obsolete.

If after 5 days you still have gotten no response, then post a re-request and a link to your HJT log HERE.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic14717.html

Make sure you post your HJT log in the HJT forum, not here, because if you post it here in this forum the response from our HJT Team will be delayed because the post will have to be moved before they see it and it will fall in line behind many others posted that same day.

#6 ejames82

ejames82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2006 - 06:59 PM

enthusiast,
i am blessed with a healthy dose of cowardess. i don't make changes in my registry without expert help. i have scanned with an array of malware programs. there's not many legitimate programs that i haven't used. i delete the temp files via internet options every day. i am going to check all the links given to me here and hijackthis is a good idea.
thanks for the reply, and others are welcome. Ed James

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2006 - 07:37 PM

Our experts in the HJT forum will help you every step of the way so you do not need to be afraid of what they tell you to change in the registry.

You might get some benefit from a freeware program named Erunt, which makes backups of the registry on a schedule you set and of course, you would use it before making any registry changes.
If you ever need to restore the registry it has an executable that does it with one click.

Erunt
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/erunt.html

Once you finish with our HJT folks come back here and we'll finish getting everything right with your connectivity.

#8 ejames82

ejames82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2006 - 07:51 PM

enthusiast,
i've been bouncing back and forth between the links and the post. i definitely agree. i just tried a ping test which is another reason that i might be hoping hijackthis finds something. if there's something wrong with road runner, it'll never get fixed. i would rather be the one at fault. i am going back to check out all the links. thanks for the reply and others are welcome. Ed James

#9 ejames82

ejames82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2006 - 12:08 AM

guys,
i know it's late, and you're probably not with me anymore, but i have a quick reply. i don't know the brand of motherboard. its a compaq presario with intel cpu. would that make the motherboard also intel? if not, where can i find this info?
thanks, Ed James

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2006 - 08:15 AM

Hi Ed!

Give us the exact model number of your Compaq Presario and we'll be able to locate that info for you.

FWIW - you may wish to see if uninstalling and reinstalling Service Pack 2 will help you. This is the recommended way to repair a problem with Internet Explorer.

Alternatively, you might try another browser (such as FireFox, available for free here: http://www.mozilla.com/ ) If FireFox works and Internet Explorer doesn't - then you'll have isolated the problem.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 ejames82

ejames82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2006 - 09:48 AM

usasma,
uninstalling/reinstalling service pack 2 sounds like a good idea. it can't hurt. send the info, please.
if IE won't work i think i'll just quit computing. i click on alot of links and i hear that you can't do that with any other browser. besides, i think that task is way over my head.
the model number for my compaq presario is SR1103WM.
thanks for the reply, and others are welcome. Ed James

#12 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2006 - 10:14 AM

You really should post the Hijack This log first, because if there is any malware in your computer you could completely hose your operating system when you reinstall SP2.

How to reinstall or repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378/EN-US/

You can also choose to install IE7 which might solve the problem you are experiencing.

Also - You stated you have a Windows CD. Is that a full installation cd with its own 25 digit Windows Key number? Or did you get the cd from Compaq as the OEM cd for your particular computer? Does it have SP2 integrated on it?

By the way, to answer your concern about the firewall, you can never get stuck with having to use the Windows firewall. You can install any firewall you want and turn the Windows firewall off. As far as the concern about using Firefox or another browser - you can click on links in any browser. I use Firefox for everything except scans that require Active X and Windows Updates. I am using it now, and it certainly opens links in your choice of windows or tabs, and new window or the same window depending on your preferences.

If it has SP2, being that you have the Windows CD you may want to use the Windows System File Checker tool (which doesn't uninstall anything but will replace corrupt Windows system files).

Description of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 System File Checker (Sfc.exe)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310747/en-us

Use the command "sfc /scannow" without the quotation marks.

Make sure that you leave a space between the sfc and the /.

I still recommend you do the HJT log first and make sure your system isn't infected.

Edited by Enthusiast, 26 September 2006 - 10:17 AM.

#13 ejames82

ejames82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2006 - 06:46 PM

enthusiast,
i agree. i was up til 2 in the morning reading the links that you and other members gave me preparing for this. happily i might add. had to work today, not quite as happy about that. but i fully intend to post a hijackthis log. they allow copy and paste, i think i can swing that.
the disk i have is windows xp service pack 2. i was attempting to make a kaspersky rescue disk and i purchased it by mistake. it only cost $3, and that was for shipping. i haven't even opened the package, so i don't know what's in there.
i've actually seen firefox in action. a girl i know who has it said she doesn't like it. i think she practices unsafe surfing and has an unrelated problem and blames firefox. i think that IE and firefox are both good.
i can't remember for sure if i ran sfc/scannow. it was about a month ago. i know i attempted to, but can't remember if it worked out. good suggestion though, it is time to try it again.
as you can see i posted late last night with a question. i am trying to ensure that every little thing is taken care of. i think i have read everything, but i am going back to make sure. thanks for checking back. you and the other folks here make me feel alot more comfortable about doing this. Ed James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users