Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard Drive can't access files does not show on My Computer

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 FeruAce

FeruAce

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 03 December 2017 - 12:48 AM

Laptop Information

Manufacturer: Dell                     
Model: Inspiron 5520
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-3632QM CPU @2.20GHz 2.20 GHz
Installed memory (RAM): 8.00 GB
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Basic
System type: 64-bit Operating System

External Hard Drive: WD 500GB

Greetings, My External Hard Drive does not show in my computer its only show on Devices and Printers and when I check in Disk Management it will show up then suddenly disappear then show up again. In disk management the disk is shown (look at the image below) and when I try to initialize disk it show the message Data error (cyclic redundancy check). The same happen even if i change usb cables.

The last thing I did  before this happen is format the external hard disk and transfer my backup files and photos there and when i plug it again this happen.

I have another copy of the data and photos that is inside the External Hard Drive so I don't mind losing it. How to fix this?
To everyone that is reading this Thank you for your time.

Attached Files

Edited by FeruAce, 03 December 2017 - 03:20 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 03 December 2017 - 05:13 AM

Well...a formatted hard drive working properly...will not be reflected in Disk Management as needing initialization.  So you have a problem with what you say that you did...and the reflection of the drive via Disk Management.

Seems to me that it's time to run Data Lifeguard for Windows - http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=605&sid=3&lang=en, after checking the cables/connections for the external drive.

Louis

#3 FeruAce

FeruAce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2017 - 06:17 AM

Well...a formatted hard drive working properly...will not be reflected in Disk Management as needing initialization.  So you have a problem with what you say that you did...and the reflection of the drive via Disk Management.

Seems to me that it's time to run Data Lifeguard for Windows - http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=605&sid=3&lang=en, after checking the cables/connections for the external drive.

Louis

This is the test result

Test Option: QUICK TEST

Model Number: WD 5000BEV External

Unit Serial Number: WX41A10P5064

Firmware Number: 1.75

Capacity: 500.11 GB

SMART Status: PASS

Test Result: FAIL

Test Error Code: 06-Quick Test on drive 2 did not complete! Status code = 07 (Failed read test element), Failure Checkpoint = 97 (Unknown Test) SMART self-test did not complete on drive 2!

Test Time: 20:09:09, December 03, 2017

Edited by FeruAce, 03 December 2017 - 06:20 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,677 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2017 - 07:29 AM

OK, that's not good but I would now run the long test (to confirm).

You should realize that hard drive failures cannot normally be "fixed" by users.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 03 December 2017 - 07:31 AM.

#5 FeruAce

FeruAce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2017 - 07:55 AM

OK, that's not good but I would now run the long test (to confirm).

You should realize that hard drive failures cannot normally be "fixed" by users.

Louis

This is the result, what should I do next. Thank you
Test Option: EXTENDED TEST 
Model Number: WD 5000BEV External 
Unit Serial Number: WX41A10P5064 
Firmware Number: 1.75 
Capacity: 500.11 GB 
SMART Status: PASS 
Test Result: FAIL 
Test Error Code: 08-Too many bad sectors detected. 
Test Time: 21:52:51, December 03, 2017 

Edited by FeruAce, 03 December 2017 - 07:56 AM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,677 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2017 - 09:28 AM

https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=11711, sceroll down to numbers 8 and 12.

I would try the long test again, as suggested, and see the result.  If it fails again, the path is clear re what must be done.

Louis

#7 FeruAce

FeruAce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2017 - 10:57 AM

https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=11711, sceroll down to numbers 8 and 12.

I would try the long test again, as suggested, and see the result.  If it fails again, the path is clear re what must be done.

Louis

After doing extended test many times I even use different usb cables still this same message is shown "test found bad sectors that may be repairable" then I click repair. This message show after repair "Bad sectors were repaired successfully" but after doing another extended test the same bad sector must be repair. Also the elapsed time of extended test is only around 2 minutes. So with that I should assume that I should replace my external hard drive am I right?

Thank you for your fast reply and giving me time.

Edited by FeruAce, 03 December 2017 - 12:07 PM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,677 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2017 - 08:23 AM

When the system manufacturer...says that it's time to replace a component which is installed in a system sold by manufacturer..I tend to believe that the manufacturer knows exactly what that recommendation means to consumers.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users