Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

uPnP Access Point found in network

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nocebo

nocebo

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 02 December 2017 - 11:43 PM

So I found a uPnP Access Point inside my network. I had no clue uPnP was activated.
After deactivating it from within my routers configurations, what should I be worried about?
Other than having the traffic being routed to that access point, could they have used that do some more harm?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nocebo

nocebo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 04 December 2017 - 03:47 AM

Here is an update:

I noticed my laptop taking awhile to resolve hosts while browsing so I decided to utilize OpenDNS. After trying to change my routers configuration to use OpenDNS, I realized it was not saving any setting at all! After doing a hard reset and adding the DNS setting I was finally able to save the router configurations. In the end, it still was taking forever to resolve hosts. So I decided to take a look at ESETs network scanner and I find the uPnP Access point again! I checked its local IP from ESETs network scanner and tried blocking it via ESET and the routers firewall. In the end things just got worse, my internet is able to connect for about 1 minute then everything loses connection (icon is normal in taskbar) and I am welcomed with a page saying "DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NO_INTERNET" for about 5 mintues to be able to use the internet for another 1 minute again. 
After checking wireshark, this router seems to only be doing something with my laptop, as it doesnt seem to be directly sending anything to other devices. My phones connection is perfectly fine aswell. ESETs firewall and the routers firewall doesnt seem to do anything to stop it aswell.

I have linked an IMGUR album of the wireshark, eset and browser screenshots I have taken.

This has gotten me to believe it may be a neighbor or someone upstairs possibly that is doing this, as they must need to be within my routers range. Am I correct?

I'll be going out to buy a new router today but I believe this may be something over my head.

https://imgur.com/a/5c9JT

#3 night5runner

night5runner

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 16 December 2017 - 11:19 PM

Might try using GlassWire to monitor your network activity.  It can identify when that device connects and give you some information on it.  They just made a new version, available in the download section on this site. 

For me it tells me I have 5 devices connected which I struggle to understand.  As best I can tell its, PC, router, port forwarding internal network?, and 2 to do with VPNs (client and app?).  Or I'm being hacked. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users