Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Laptop stuck on infinite loop after bad update? Help please

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_tineesha2017_*

Guest_tineesha2017_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 December 2017 - 11:26 PM

For the past two weeks, my laptop has been stuck on an infinite loop that says attempting to recover installation and then continues to say restoring your previous version of Windows. I believe my laptop was a Windows 7 or 8 operating system however i'm not sure as it wasn't mine to begin with. After a few days of rejecting the update to Windows 10, I believe it did so automatically.

I woke up one morning to the laptop in this loop and decided to give it a few days to fix itself but after noticing that didn't happen, I decided to look on fourms for solutions and found that none are working. I've tried pressing F8 to bring up a automatic repair and it just ends with a loud beeping noise that doesn't stop. I've also tried turning the laptop on and off three times which also didn't work. 

I really do not want to take the laptop in to get fixed and would appreciate any suggestions. I'm not a very techy girl so if you could make it the most basic way of explaining then i would appreciate it. Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,337 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2017 - 11:45 PM

It's getting late for me, but will suggest to at least post the Model Number of the laptop in question, and any other info you think may be pertinent.

1. Are there any important files on the pc that you don't want to loose?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#3 Guest_tineesha2017_*

Guest_tineesha2017_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 December 2017 - 12:09 AM

I would rather not lose what I have on my laptop but if that is unavoidable then I would rather have the working laptop than the files

Edited by tineesha2017, 03 December 2017 - 05:03 PM.

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 03 December 2017 - 10:49 AM

If that is the Serial Number please remove it with the "Edit" function at the bottom of the Post.  It would say S/N if it is the Serial Number, or Serial Number, the only thing we need is the Model Number.  Nice little laptop, well worth keeping.

Looks like it is this one: Satellite L850D/003

And looks like it came with Windows 7, which I would keep if it were me.

http://www.mytoshiba.com.au/products/computers/satellite/l850/pskeca-003002

You could take it to someone to get the files of it, or we could do it with your help.  You would need another computer, and Two spare USB's with nothing on them.  It would require downloading another Linux Operating System and then installing it to the USB.  This may not be something you want to attempt because of all the work involved or you don't have access to another computer, your internet is super slow, or you don't have the technical ability.  The Linux download is over a Gigabyte in size closer to Two GB, so it will take a long time to download.  You may even be able to do this from the current computer in Safe Mode with Networking but I have never attempted that so don't know.

Otherwise this is what I would do to attempt to fix it.  This will keep all your files and you won't need any of the above that I mentioned.  Use a "Restore Point" to try to go back to where the pc was functioning, this works sometimes but not always.  If this don't work we may be able to do something else, but that would wipe all files and reinstall the operating system to Factory Condition.  Follow this guide to use a Restore Point, just choose the most recent date available, or closest to the most recent date.

Edited by pcpunk, 03 December 2017 - 10:53 AM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#5 Guest_tineesha2017_*

Guest_tineesha2017_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 December 2017 - 11:58 PM

I've tried this for most of the day and haven't been able to fix it. It won't boot into safe mode or anything so i'm at a loss of what to do now. I'm fine with losing files, i'm sure I could find them somewhere else

Edited by tineesha2017, 03 December 2017 - 11:58 PM.

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,337 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:34 AM

Put one finger on the Power Button and One Ready to Start Tapping the F8 Key Really Quickly, tap tap tap tap as soon as you push the power button, try it a few more times, sometimes it's takes a few tries.

If not we'll move on to using the Recovery Partition to reinstall, but this will take much longer to do.  

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#7 Guest_tineesha2017_*

Guest_tineesha2017_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 04 December 2017 - 10:37 AM

When I press F8 quickly, should it cause a loud beep? 

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 04 December 2017 - 11:38 AM

No it should not, that tells us something is wrong.  How many times does it beep, just once?

Here are directions to recover from the "Recovery Partition" on the Hard Drive.  This is the official Toshiba Directions.

https://support.toshiba.com/support/staticContentDetail?contentId=4010546&isFromTOCLink=false

NOTE: Under this Title at the above document 5-19 :

"Restoring the pre-installed software from the Recovery Hard Disk Drive"

A portion of the total Hard Disk Drive space is configured as a hidden
recovery partition. This partition stores files which can be used to restore
pre-installed software in the event of a problem.
If you subsequently set up your Hard Disk Drive again, do not change,
delete or add partitions in a manner other than specified in the manual,
otherwise you may find that space for the required software is not
available.
In addition, if you use a third-party partitioning program to reconfigure the
partitions on your Hard Disk Drive, you may find that it becomes impossible
to setup your computer.

Make sure that the AC adaptor is connected during the restoring process.
When you reinstall the Windows operating system, the hard disk may be
reformatted and all data may be lost.
@pcpunk, the above states that data "may be lost" but I would believe that all data WILL BE LOST!

1. Turn off your computer.
2. While holding down 0 (zero) key on the keyboard, turn on your
computer. Release the 0 (zero) key one second after the computer is
power on.
3. A menu will be displayed from which you should follow the on-screen
instructions.
If your computer does not load the Recovery options, please refer to the
Troubleshooting section.
You can also perform the restoration through PC settings in the operating
system:
1. Click the Settings charm and click Change PC settings.
2. Click General under PC settings.
3. Select the options you desired and follow the on-screen instructions.

Make sure you have time to do this as it will take a while, how long I don't know, you can always let it sit for a while if you need to do something else for a while.

If you are successful, then we will need to move to accumulating all the years of Windows 7 Updates for you system to work properly.

Edited by pcpunk, 04 December 2017 - 11:41 AM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#9 Guest_tineesha2017_*

Guest_tineesha2017_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 04 December 2017 - 11:52 AM

I've gotten into a boot menu? I'm not sure if this is helpful or not but I don't know if I would manage to get it up again

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,337 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2017 - 12:42 PM

I assume you followed the Press 0 at boot to get here?

You don't see Recovery Options in Boot Menu, and do you do not have Recovery Disks right?  Sorry, should have asked that to start, though I thought you would be able to get into F8 Safe Mode and use a Restore Point, and in fact I would try that again because it will be less work in the end for you if it works, the directions are in the Toshiba Manual I presented.

Try holding the "0" and Pressing the Power button again as shown in the directions above.  These things don't always work the first time, or get botched by a Windows 10 install.

3. A menu will be displayed from which you should follow the on-screen
instructions.
If your computer does not load the Recovery options, please refer to the
Troubleshooting section.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users