Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Remove Second Distro in Dual Boot System

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,996 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 02 December 2017 - 10:19 PM

Back on my old trusty HP Compaq nx7400, KDE and Mint Mate 17.1.  Still having issues with the pc not wanting to shut down completely.  Never had this issue when this pc was a single boot, and never really heard of this issue before.  I thought it was fixed when I removed Mint Mate 18, and made sure all Power Settings were set to not Hibernate or Sleep.  Anyone else had this issue?  I think I will remove the second distro Mint Mate to see if that will fix anything, but need a little guidance doing so.

I wonder if I can just do an "sudo update-grub" while in KDE, then use a Install Disk to Delete Mint Mate with gparted?

Thanks, pcpunk

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_philbo_*

Guest_philbo_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 December 2017 - 11:26 PM

If this is MBR and the bootloader is owned by the MATE distro, then you might need to reinstall GRUB after booting into KDE.

sudo grub-install /dev/sda

where sda is your hard drive (no partition number, just sda).

This should return ownership of GRUB to the KDE distro. Then you can delete the MATE partition with Gparted from a live usb or disk.

Here's a link with more info. See "Reinstalling GRUB 2" further down the page...

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,996 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2017 - 11:39 PM

If this is MBR and the bootloader is owned by the MATE distro, then you might need to reinstall GRUB after booting into KDE.

Thanks philbo, that's what I'll do! but tomorrow, getting tired tonight.  I got to many OS's hanging around anyhow, will reallocate that space to some files.

Thanks very much!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,996 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:30 AM

@philbo, Thanks , finally got er done.  Had some problems of course, and still may have, but for the most part that worked well.  Thanks to Al1000, I had some notes laying around to fix my swap partition.  

Then the Time was not working correctly but fixed it.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,996 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2018 - 11:02 PM

Getting rid of the Dual Boot on this HP nx7400 Business Laptop cured the Battery Problems and the Shutdown problems, good stuff, though don't know why these problems existed to begin with?  This is one of the first Dual Boot Linux & Linux I've done, both 17.1 and 18.0, and then 17.1 and 17.3.  Neither worked properly, and don't have the time to look into it.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users