Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

3tb external hdd seagate file system RAW not accessible I/O device error?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 wheretheresawill

wheretheresawill

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 02 December 2017 - 09:43 PM

Please can someone help me fix or recover my files?

I have seagate 3tb ex hdd and I was running EaseUS data recovery on the drive for a couple days and it got to about 30% of the scan when my computer froze so the scan wasn't able to finish. I think my computer froze because I had too many browser tabs open and my computer decided to freeze on me so had to abruptly restart. Really annoyed as I should of been more careful with my computers resources getting drained. I assume that's why my computer froze as it has done in the past.

I have restarted the EaseUS data recovery scan again and I estimate the scan to finish in about 2 weeks so I thought I'd ask this forum for some help in the mean time to check if I am on the right path or if there's something better / quicker I can do in the mean time? Is it safe to assume EaseUS data recovery won't damage any files?

FYI, before I ran the first EaseUS data recovery scan my computer wasn't reading the HDD but after the computer froze and restarted windows 7 now sees all the first folders in the root of the drive (is this positive progress?) but when I click on a folder I get this message -

P:\work not accessible
The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.

After Googling the issues I am not sure what to do as I've tried a mixture of tests and not sure whats best.

Should I first make a clone of the failed HDD using https://www.acronis.com/en-us/personal/computer-backup ?

After making a clone can I access the data from the clone? If so how? Do I need another program or acronis computer back up will fix the file system as it makes a clone? After making a clone should I then run EaseUS data recovery on the 3tb RAW hdd?

Also before doing the first EaseUS scan I did try booting into linux and clicked repair drive but I got this message so turned back to windows -

Error checking filesystem on volume. The device is busy. There is already a job running

I've also tried tesk disk in windows7 but I wasn't feeling confident and didn't persevere with it as the deep search appeared to be taking along time and I got this message when stopping the search -

partition read error

When the hdd first failed I tried running the cmd chkdsk /f P: and got this message and still do -

file system is raw

I am not sure what I should do next. Should I just persevere with EaseUS data recovery and hope my computer doesn't freeze again before the scan has finished then I can transfer the data to a working drive??

If I can access the files and copy them to another location I'd be happy but right now I can't access any of the data.

Please can someone advise and point me in the right direction?

Edited by hamluis, 03 December 2017 - 05:16 AM.
Moved from External Hardware to Disk Mgmt - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 03 December 2017 - 09:52 AM

I am afraid this drive has failed. Your only chance now would be to remove the drive from the enclosure and attach it to a computer either internally or using a USB adapter similar to this one. It may be the problem with the USB bridge card. If the drive is detected then run Easeus again and see if it can recover any data.

If you remove the drive look at the serial number of the drive. Seagate has had big problems with a certain 3TB drive where there is now a class action suit. If you have this drive then the outlook for recovery is not good.

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/222267-seagate-faces-lawsuit-over-3tb-hard-drive-failure-rates

Edit: Is this a portable drive or a full size enclosure? Do you have a model number of the external enclosure?

Edited by JohnC_21, 04 December 2017 - 08:16 AM.

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,392 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 03 December 2017 - 10:39 PM

+1 JohnC on the very likely possibility that the data is gone.  ?OP made a tragic mistake in not making routine, restorable, full image backups on any affordable external media?  And, if there are no backups, then, a 2nd tragic error was made in not making a clone of this problematic HD onto a usb external HD long before everything was tried and many tabs were open.  A clone operation at this point may (or may not) result in data recovery, in part if not in whole.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (sevenforums)

Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup... -- RockE (Windows Secrets Lounge)

#4 wheretheresawill

wheretheresawill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2017 - 05:39 AM

Thanks for your thoughts JohnC_21 and RolandJS.

I ended up taking the HDD to my friend yesterday who is a linux wizard. He started to make an image of the HDD using ddrescue. He programmed the tool to keep retrying a sector 3 times before moving on. When I left the image size was 5gb which I think is good progress. Somehow magically he managed to open a directory and create a list of the folders in that directory but wasn't able to drill down further into those folders before the HDD stopped responding when trying to open one up. We weren't able to get any real data off the HDD yet but I think there's light at the end of the tunnel now.

Another thing he did with ddrescue was create a log file so if he needs to restart the HDD the image tool will resume from the sector it was last on before the restart.

The thing with EaseUS data recovery scan in windows was I just had to trust the interface and waiting for it to get to 100% was excruciating and even then I had no idea if the data would be accessible / retrievable. It took like 4 hours to increment by 1% and going by that it would of taken like 2 weeks to finish the scan.

This is the hdd in question -

https://www.ebuyer.com/709706-seagate-expansion-3tb-usb-3-0-desktop-external-hard-drive-steb3000200

I will try and find out what the serial number is as.

The HDD doesn't make any peculiar noises which I think is a good sign.

I think the idea is when the image is complete to then use tesk disk on the image to retrieve the data. Do any of you think the chance of getting my data back from this image will be highly likely now?

I hope the clone image operation will get all my data back!

Edited by wheretheresawill, 04 December 2017 - 05:43 AM.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,165 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2017 - 08:22 AM

+1 on ddrescue. :You are fortunate to know somebody who is familiar with the program. If ddrescue cannot image the disk or you cannot carve files out of the image I think your drive is done. You would need to pull the drive out of the enclosure in order to determine the drive's serial number.

You still may want to pull the drive from the enclosure. The problem may be the USB bridge card. In any case, good luck.

Edited by JohnC_21, 04 December 2017 - 09:30 AM.

#6 wheretheresawill

wheretheresawill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2017 - 10:07 AM

If ddrescue can image the disk does that mean I can get all my data from the image without issues?

The term carving files is new to me. What are the odds of not being able to get data (carve files?) from an image? Is it safe to assume if an image can be made successfully then data can be retrieved?

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,165 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2017 - 10:28 AM

If ddrescue can image the disk does that mean I can get all my data from the image without issues?

The term carving files is new to me. What are the odds of not being able to get data (carve files?) from an image? Is it safe to assume if an image can be made successfully then data can be retrieved?

It would depend on how many bad sectors ddrescue could recover. Carving an image means scanning the image with a program that can recover files from the image. In linux that could be PhotoRec. The downside of PhotoRec is all files recovered have generic names with the proper extension. You would need to open each file and rename it accordingly. 

Testdisk can also work on the ddrescue Image. 

A program that can mount an image, if it can be mounted, would be OSFmount

Your friend should be familiar with Testdisk and PhotoRec.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 5,839 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2017 - 11:09 AM

As a side note on PhotoRec, which I love "when all else fails," it often recovers many, many copies (and thumbnails) of the same image (or other document types if you're recovering those as well).

As things get shifted around on the hard drive over time by defragging (for the most part) many "ghost copies" of the same item exist.  Since PhotoRec appears to work by locating the initial block of a given file and then following the linked blocks until the file is complete, and without regard to whether what it's finding is in what is currently allocated space or blocks marked as free space, you can get the same thing way more than once.

I recall one of the biggest recovery projects I did for an acquaintance who had years of photos on a single computer that he had not been backing up when the hard drive began failing in a significant way.  After doing a PhotoRec recovery there were in excess of 10K images, many of which were duplicates, and which he was going to have to pore over and reorganize.  He was still thrilled to get them back, but knew the job of putting things back together the way he wanted them would probably be a months long project.

As has been noted here previously, if you are able to clone the failed (more likely failing, if this were to work) drive to a second drive as the first thing you do that is the wisest route.  Then the recovery software can be working on a drive that is not subject to complete sudden death during the process.

Edited by britechguy, 04 December 2017 - 11:11 AM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

#9 wheretheresawill

wheretheresawill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2017 - 11:40 AM

In the ddrescue terminal no bad sectors or errors were found while I was there. If ddrescue can make an image with no bad sectors then all the data is intact?

My mate tried to read the 5gb image with PhotoRec while I was there but nothing was found he said it was too early in the process to try. He did mention the file names won't be preserved using PhotoRec.

Will Teskdisk keep all the directories and filenames intact?

If the image can be mounted then we won't need to use testdisk on the image and can just transfer everything to a new drive?

My mate said the boot sector was working.. Another good sign?

Then the recovery software can be working on a drive that is not subject to complete sudden death during the process.

Are you suggesting to use EaseUS data recovery on the drive again after doing everything we can in Linux?

Sorry if I am asking questions with obvious answers.

Edited by wheretheresawill, 04 December 2017 - 11:42 AM.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,165 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2017 - 12:24 PM

If ddrescue can make an image with no bad sectors then all the data is intact?

ddrescue will always make an image with no bad sectors. If it cannot recover a bad sector it passes to the next sector. If your file was on a number of bad sectors then it could not be recovered intact.

Testdisk can recover the directory structure but only if the MFT table is intact. Again, if some files are on bad sectors those files would not be recovered. You would need to scan with PhotoRec or some other program if Testdisk could not recover your files.

If the image can be mounted then Testdisk or PhotoRec would not be required. It would be a matter of copying files from the mounted image to a recovery drive.

Boot Sector okay is a good sign.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users