Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hacked or Not Hacked

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MsTeena

MsTeena

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 02 December 2017 - 06:21 PM

I've got an HP dv6 running win10. The user was hacked in facebook and ultimately contacted what may or may not have been facebook by cell phone and allowed the 3rd party to access the computer. I've removed 2 programs that were installed and plan to run malwarebytes. Is there anything I can do to be sure that the 3rd party doesn't still have access and that they won't be able to gain access without the users consent?

Thanks.

Edited by MsTeena, 02 December 2017 - 06:23 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 02 December 2017 - 06:53 PM

Make sure that any form of remote access is either turned off or uninstalled. In other words, set 'Remote access' in the control panel to 'Off' and uninstall anything like Teamviewer.

However if the owner is gullible or elderly and perhaps suffering from early dementia, as an acquaintance of mine was, you cannot stop them from going back into control panel and turning remote access on. That is what happened to my elderly acquaintance and he had his bank account emptied.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 MsTeena

MsTeena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2017 - 07:35 PM

Question is however, do they need one of these programs to get in? Being that they've already had access I just want to be sure. And yes she is elderly, but even the young make these mistakes. When you've called yourself you assume it's the right place. I've tried to find a legit phone number for facebook myself and don't believe any of them are really facebook or contracted with facebook. Some of them may be fine, but how are we to know. Even searching facebook help is a joke. There are tons of phone numbers all of which say they are the real deal. Anyway, the bottom line is it sucks and Facebook needs to figure out something.

#4 MsTeena

MsTeena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2017 - 07:51 PM

Also, is her computer vulnerable to this person or an other source while I am using Teamviewer to access her computer?

Edited by MsTeena, 02 December 2017 - 07:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users