Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange Txt Msgs

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots

• Members
  • 444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 02 December 2017 - 03:38 PM

I am a music teacher and have used Craigslist to advertise for lessons many times.  I often get these very strange txt msgs and I can't figure out what the sender is after. 

"They read something like this:  Hello.  I am looking for a music teacher for my daughter.  Please tell me how much you would charge for three one hour lessons a week, for one month?"

These are absurd terms.  Nobody (except possibly a really seasoned player preparing for a professional career) takes that many lessons a week.

The phone number is listed in the ad (from now on I'm not going to post it in such a way a bot can scan for it, maybe spell out a number or two) so they would assume the number is good, but what can they can from me sending an actual text msg? 

This has stumped me for years.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,722 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 02 December 2017 - 07:26 PM

I would suspect 'sucker-bait' of one sort or another. Possibly trying to get you out of the house at a known time with a view to burglary ?  Any number of other scenarios can be imagined.

Your real problem might be if somebody asks for a meeting with a view to one hour a week or even one a fortnight. It's something I would be careful about.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 02 December 2017 - 08:32 PM

Just curious...are you seeing competition from the online music lessons? Seems some even offer free classes....to some extent.

online music lessons free - Google Search

That example you gave...it could be someone as ignorant as I am as to music lessons...cost...hours, etc. You should answer that one

if it is recent by asking for home address, age of student and choice of instrument...so you can send a written response and even mention

it is to protect you from scammers, etc.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 03 December 2017 - 12:40 PM

Thanks for the response.  I have been getting these periodically for years now and it just baffles me, if my phone number is listed, why they are so persistent about wanting a reply.  I did reply once some years ago, with prices and everything, and never heard back. 

I've traced the phones and this latest batch of three each is linked to different real estate agencies.  I tried calling a number once a few years ago and the phone number was linked to something to do with Google. 

I don't answer them anymore but am curious why I get them. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users