Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC powers off when USB port is tampered with

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Blockinlick

Blockinlick

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 02 December 2017 - 03:30 PM

I have an HP desktop from 2012
Model: HPE H8-1214

The last year I have been having issues with the USB ports not working. Only 2 of them (Out of the 8) work and one in particular is loose and leading to the problem I'm posting about. I have also had an issues with the HDMI port not working sometimes.

I plug my mouse into the loose port. On occasion (once every couple months or so), my mouse will stop working and here lately, the HDMI port has been doing it a lot. Restarting the PC usually works, but on a few occasions, it hasn't.

When multiple restarts doesn't work, I try messing with the port. Upon doing this to the USB port my mouse is plugged into, my computer can suddenly power off.

This has happened 3 times so far. I haven't figured out how to get it to turn back on. It eventually just does and it's baffling.

The first time this happened a few months ago, it wouldn't power on for 9 days. I tried for about a week every day and gave up. Then a few days later as I was about to walk out the door, I saw the power button shining again. It was so weird. It just turned itself right back on out of the blue.

The second time was about a month ago, but it powered back on after a couple of hours.

It has happened for a third time today about a couple of hours ago. It still wont power back on.

Note that I'm not just being dumb here and hitting the outlet or surge protector. Everything else plugged into thr surge protector, including the modem and speakers are working fine.

Something really screwed up is going on with my PC and I'm hoping that maybe someone has some solution, or at least temporary fix. I'd really like to avoid taking it to a tech, but if the problem is beyond my ability, I will.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 02 December 2017 - 06:11 PM

USB ports are prone to getting things in the connectors that prevents good connections and can short out, stopping the CPU from recognizing a failed port.  Dirt gets introduced to the connectors, the one on the cable and the port mounted in the unit.  Bad cables can create faults too.

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:37 AM

+1 Nova.

As Nova said, get a can of compressed air with a straw and blow out all the ports.

Also, I have seen USB ports that just break with use. All it takes is a small piece of metal to break off inside and short the port or break connection. That can cause all kinds of problems.

Enter Device Manager, Look for any yellow problem icons and pay particular attention to the bottom of the screen, "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" and "USB Virtualization" (if you have that header). Any yellow marks on those?

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users