Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

C: drive filling when moving from nas->D:

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 brittaintrail

brittaintrail

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 02 December 2017 - 01:20 PM

I recently lost a HDD but fortunately I have everything backed up on a little nas. I am currently in the process of moving files from my network location (A 3 TB WDMyCloud which is a POS). It should be a simple process highlight everything on the NAS I want to move and paste in folder in my new D: drive. Weird thing is though during the copy process my C: thinks it is filling eventually it hits 0 bytes left and the copy process fails. I can confirm that the fires are copying to the right location but it takes a day or so for the pc to realize that the C drive actually isn't full of backed up files.
Are the files copied to some hidden temp folder in my C: before they get moved to my D: drive? Is there some way to bypass this? Or is there some way to delete it? Or even force my PC to recheck the free space in the drive. As it stands I have to copy my movies oven in about increments of 20 and then do another batch the next day.
Thanks.

Additional info C: BPX M.2 256gb
D: seagate 5400rpm 4tb
nas device is a p.o.s. wdmycloud
I am accessing the nas though file explorer->network

Edit: I will add that despite explorer saying there are 0bytes remaining on C: my pc performance is unaffected. Makes me think that it's explorer messing up.

Looks like I found a manual solution, I'll leave it here in case anyone ever runs into this. Pull up defender security center. Click device and health performance. Go to storage capacity and run clean up. Not sure where the files are that it cleaned up but that brought my C drive back to about where it should be. I guess I am just going to have to move all my data in 70gb increments. :/

Edited by brittaintrail, 02 December 2017 - 01:46 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users