Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Errors In Hard Drive :(

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Telli Babe

Telli Babe

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 25 September 2006 - 11:20 AM

Hello, i just got an computer from my aunt who upgraded to a new one. Basicly she said the computer worked fine and accualy it did the FIRST Time i turned it on i had just instaled an ethernet plug into the back of it so i restarted it and since then the computer never gets anywhere past the windows flashpage it keeps saying "Windows is unable to detect your hard drive. Would you like to Abort, Retry, Ignore, Or Fail. Ive tried everything..the computer is an Toshiba V3100 running on Windows 98 and we tried the Toshiba Companion Disk and The Recovery Disk It came with. Nothing works, scandisk wont run because it says were missing a file called "Himem.sys" I think we need to just break down and buy a brand new computer...but it would be great if we could just use this one and get it professionaly upgraded..What do you think the problem is and is there a way we can fix it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 25 September 2006 - 12:47 PM

Hi, Telli Babe:

Try to run scandisk from the command prompt....

1. Restart your computer, press and hold down the CTRL key until you see the Windows 98 Startup menu, and then choose Command Prompt Only.
2. At the command prompt, type scandisk, and then press ENTER.
3. Click Yes or press Y (for Yes) when you are prompted to perform a surface scan.

It will take a while to complete the full scan.

Let us know if that helps, or not.
JC

#3 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 25 September 2006 - 01:39 PM

Do you have a bootdisk of win98? If not try to get one from the following site for Windows 98 http://www.bootdisk.com/ . Once you do that, insert the disk into the computer and start the computer with cd-rom support, at this point you can run the recovery disk (but it may delete everything on your computer) or you can try typing in fdisk, this should bring up a utility for setting an active partition for your computer. However if you can get into dos, you may be able to do more than that, tell me what option you choose, and I will help accordingly.

#4 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2006 - 02:05 PM

Hello, i just got an computer from my aunt who upgraded to a new one. Basicly she said the computer worked fine and accualy it did the FIRST Time i turned it on i had just instaled an ethernet plug into the back of it.....

......but it would be great if we could just use this one and get it professionaly upgraded.

Hay there
did you install a "nic" (ethernet card) or just plug a line into what was already there ?
if you installed a card, unplug the computer and open it back up to see if any other cables came loose, like the one to the harddrive, at both ends.
(touch something metal besides the computer after you open it first)

depends how old it is , it may be cheaper to buy a new one.

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#5 Telli Babe

Telli Babe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2006 - 06:56 PM

Hi thanks for all the responces! Im starting off with Joshua Cat's Responce then ill be back to tell you the details. Thanks!

#6 Gary335

Gary335

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2006 - 07:00 PM

That Abort, Retry, Fail error your getting is a pretty good indcation that your hard drvie has gone up. basically the computer i telling you that it cannot read from the drive.

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2006 - 08:27 PM

If you did install an ethernet card (nic) or had your hands inside the computer you may have moved cables while doing so and it is very easy for the cables to become loose, especially on older computers.

Check and make sure that the ribbon cable connected to the hard drive is firmly connected on both ends - the end that connects to the hard drive and the end that connects to the motherboard.

Make sure the power connector - the two wire cable from the power supply is also firmly plugged in to the hard drive.

Make sure the Ram is firmly in the slot/s and that the clips at the ends are latched.

Try to boot and see what happens.

If you still get the message for the "Himem.sys" see the following page:
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000425.htm

Edited by Enthusiast, 25 September 2006 - 08:32 PM.

#8 Telli Babe

Telli Babe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2006 - 09:02 PM

Hey You Guys..After the scandisk now the computer shows these warnings : Pri Slave HDD Error Sec Slave HDD Error Press F1 to Resume But after pressing F1 the computer runs as it was nothing wrong with it. But the Cd Drive dosent work. I looked into the System folder under control pannel and the CD- Rom controller has an yellow circle with an black "!" in the middle of it. The properties of the controler says : The device is either not present, not working property or dose not have all the driver installed (Code 10). What should i do about this?

#9 Gary335

Gary335

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2006 - 12:20 AM

Hey You Guys..After the scandisk now the computer shows these warnings : Pri Slave HDD Error Sec Slave HDD Error Press F1 to Resume But after pressing F1 the computer runs as it was nothing wrong with it. But the Cd Drive dosent work. I looked into the System folder under control pannel and the CD- Rom controller has an yellow circle with an black "!" in the middle of it. The properties of the controler says : The device is either not present, not working property or dose not have all the driver installed (Code 10). What should i do about this?

It could be that the IDE controllerson the motherboard have died. If that;s the case, then the entire motherboard will have to be replaced.

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2006 - 06:27 AM

Go back to the device manager, click where the yellow warning icon is, and try updating the driver.

The same loose cable advice applies to the cd as well as the hard drive.
Make sure the IDE ribbon cable and the power cable have not come loose.

#11 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 26 September 2006 - 07:11 AM

Follow Enthusiasts advice and check your connections again.

When working inside a computer, please also be aware that static electricity can severely damage electronic components, so please take the time to ground yourself. See this - Static Electricity and Computers

In case you are wondering what the specs are for that computer, I found them here. - Product Specification
JC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users