Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Game shows wrong VRAM

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 frusciante54

frusciante54

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 02 December 2017 - 10:50 AM

Hello. While playing GTA IV, in the graphics option section it showed :

Used resources : 300/499 mb

This is the VRAM, right? But, I'm supposed to have 2 gbs of dedicated VRAM. Some people said that some laptops have 2 different Video Cards. One for normal usage, a light card. One for gaming, which should be that 2 GB one.

But, people said that the computer should switch to the better graphics card when I enter a game. So why is it showing the 500 mb graphics card? How can I fix this? (In dxdiag it says 2 gbs of graphics card)

I tried to take a screenshot of that used resources but it just made a blank black picture when I pasted to Paint. Don't know why...

Anyway

Thanks in advance.

Edited by frusciante54, 02 December 2017 - 10:52 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 02 December 2017 - 11:29 AM

Hello frusciante54,

High end/gaming notebooks most often have a dedicated graphics chip as well as that on the Intel HD CPU or AMD APU and you are correct in that depending on the load on the computer the graphics device should switch to the appropriate device accordingly.

Can you post the brand and model name or number of your notebook so that we can check the specs.

#3 frusciante54

frusciante54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2017 - 11:37 AM

Notebook model : Acer Espire E 15 :  E5-553G-T7Q5

In the device manager it shows 2 Graphic Cards, which are :

AMD Radeon R8 M445DX

AMD Radeon R5 Graphics

#4 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2017 - 12:02 PM

In the device manager it shows 2 Graphic Cards, which are :

AMD Radeon R8 M445DX
AMD Radeon R5 Graphics

Which means that you have dual graphics, not two physical video cards, the R8 is a graphics chip and the R5 is a part of the processor.

You will need to open the Catalyst Control Centre (CCC) and make sure that dual graphics is enabled, see attachment below;

Attached Files

#5 frusciante54

frusciante54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2017 - 12:07 PM

Okay, thank you but how do I get to there? I have something called "AMD Radeon settings" which I used to be able to open but now I can't. Should I try to open that or should I try downloading what you've said?

#6 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2017 - 12:44 PM

I have something called "AMD Radeon settings" which I used to be able to open but now I can't. 

Can I just ask, did your graphics previously work ok up until recently, my reply #2 was only in response to your question about switchable graphics but it looks like you may be needing help with an actual graphics problem.

You can download the CCC software from here most don`t recommend the installation of such bloatware normally but in this instance you may need it to be able to get your dual graphics working correctly.

#7 frusciante54

frusciante54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2017 - 06:41 AM

Soo I tried to install CCC yesterday and failed. There was a black screen for like 20 minutes during the installation. So I had to restart from the physical button. Then it wouldn't open, I had to do system restore etc..

Apparently, CCC is a problematic software. It just creates problems. And I can't even open "Amd Radeon settings" and I don't know why it's not opening.

I guess I understand why people choose Intel over AMD now...

Anyway, is there any other option I can try to enable this dual graphics thing?

#8 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2017 - 10:31 AM

Can I just ask, did your graphics previously work ok up until recently, my reply #2 was only in response to your question about switchable graphics but it looks like you may be needing help with an actual graphics problem.

Can you answer the above for us.

#9 frusciante54

frusciante54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2017 - 10:37 AM

What do you mean by that? First time I got the computer, I was able to get to the AMD settings. But this dual thing never worked. What did you mean by work? The AMD settings opening, or the dual thing?

Edit : People reccomended that I use the AMD clean uninstaller program to uninstall drivers and then updating the drivers again. I did that, AMD settings was able to open and then it closed itself, then it was all the same. Still not opening. And like I said CCC is caused black screen yesterday and I tried fixing that for hours so I'm never getting back on that horse again :D Any other replacements I could try beside CCC?

Edited by frusciante54, 03 December 2017 - 10:41 AM.

#10 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2017 - 11:39 AM

I mean what prompted you to start your thread as in did you notice that your video quality was not as good as it normally was, a recent Windows update has been causing a lot of people problems by uninstalling their perfectly good AMD video driver/s and installing a driver update that caused display issues, was wondering if that was what had happened with your computer.

The AMD dual graphics is similar to what Intel has and does which is use the low power demanding graphics on the processor for basic tasks and only switch to the dedicated video chip when a program or game demands it, unfortunately AMD is the only provider of the software to enable the dual graphics.

Regarding CCC I did mention the following;

most don`t recommend the installation of such bloatware normally but in this instance you may need it to be able to get your dual graphics working correctly.

#11 frusciante54

frusciante54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2017 - 12:00 PM

Well, for example, I should be able to run GTA IV without any lag at all since I'm even beyond recommended system requirements. Then I checked the options, it said I have 500 mbs of VRAM. On my computer, it says I have 2 gbs of dedicated VRAM. That is why I opened this thread and asked how I can switch to the better graphics card.

#12 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2017 - 01:08 PM

Notebook model : Acer Espire E 15 :  E5-553G-T7Q5

AMD Radeon R8 M445DX
AMD Radeon R5 Graphics

Cant seem to find the exact computer or match an AMD A12 processor to an R8 device only R7 AMD notebook drivers list here

Once you have the right software installed the AMD user guide is here

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users