Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 update connectivity issue

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 BernardQuack

BernardQuack

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2017 - 06:53 AM

My PB desktop had a windows update. Version 1709 overnight and now it cannot connect to the internet.

I also noticed that all possible connections including neighbours are unavailable too and it is not picking anything up

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 02 December 2017 - 12:38 PM

Rather than make a long verbose reply I'm going to suggest that you click/tap on the link below and see their suggested repair.

How to fix Wi-Fi problems on the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update • Pureinfotech

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 BernardQuack

BernardQuack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2017 - 04:59 AM

Thanks dc3

Unfortunately all the suggestions did not work.

Troubleshooter picked nothing up

Reset did not restore access to wifi

Could not update drivers as no wifi connection

Rolled back windows update but problem still there

Think i still have an ethernet connection so will move pc to see if i can connect that way as a temp measure

If you or anyone has any more suggestiobs. Greatly appreciated

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 04 December 2017 - 08:45 AM

Let us know if you have any success with the Ethernet cable connection.

How are you connecting to the modem?  Ex.:  computer wifi to router, router to modem.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 BernardQuack

BernardQuack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2017 - 11:48 AM

Hi. Unfortunately i discovered that the ethernet cables had not come with me after my last house move.

So currently my PC has no abilty to access any wifi after the Windows Update. Other devices work fine.

Any further suggestions to regain wifi would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 04 December 2017 - 12:06 PM

If by other devices do you mean one of those is a Windows computer or a Mac? You could download the latest driver for your Wifi adapter to a flash drive then transfer to your Windows 10 computer.

If not, can you rollback the Wifi driver in Device Manager?

There is an option to reset Windows with the option to keep files but you would need to reinstall all your programs and backup and browser bookmarks.

Edit: You can always purchase a USB dongle as a backup for connectivity issues. This one is Windows 10 compatible. It seems every Windows 10 upgrade gives connectivity problems to some people.

Edited by JohnC_21, 04 December 2017 - 12:10 PM.

#7 BernardQuack

BernardQuack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2017 - 01:14 PM

The other device i referred to was a mobile phone.

I looked at rollbacking the wifi driver in device manager but there is nothing there.

When i go into Update history. It states version 1709 requires a restart to finish installing, but when you restart the message remains after.

One thing that may be important is that the first time i turned on my PC after tge update the network connections had all disappeared so i rebooted and tgey all came back. But ever since then there has been no networl connections available.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,597 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2017 - 01:26 PM

One thing to try if you haven't already is a powercycle. Remove the powercord and hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Replace the power cord and boot.

If that does not work I guess your cheapest option at this point is to purchase a Ethernet cable or possibly download the driver at your local library if it has internet access. If you do have a local library with internet access I would also download Windows Repair. Launch the program and select only Network Repair.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/windows-repair-all-in-one/

#9 BernardQuack

BernardQuack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2017 - 01:51 PM

JohnC_21 you are a bona fide genius!

I did the powercycle and it worked!! And im now replying to you on my PC!

Access to wifi, including neighbours, has returned. Also noticed that the Qualcomm Atheros driver which must have gone missing has also returned under Device Manager. Hopefully that is the end of this issue.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,597 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2017 - 01:56 PM

Glad you got it sorted out and thanks for the update.

Edited by JohnC_21, 04 December 2017 - 01:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users